Why does it feel "good" to hurt your gums and teeth?

I like to tie elastics in my teeth to really cause pressure i like to take the ball off my tounge ring and force the metal pipe in between my teeth i just cant help it i am really addictied to it i must also agree i dont like cuts or bruses or getting hurt its stricktly my gums and teeth

Please feel free to talk anytime i would love to know more… I never thought anyone felt as i do

My dentist told me a little bleeding after thorough flossing is perfectly normal. Key word is “little.”

I know the kind of pleasure/pain the OP is talking about, although with me it’s more about scratching an itch until it hurts, or rubbing my eyes just a little too hard during allergy season, or keeping a strong mint in the same place on my tongue just a little too long.

Note to self: never get into a physical fight with Shagnasty.

Weird. I like the bruise feeling, but I HATE the feeling of stuff between my teeth or against my gums. I floss regularly but it skeeves me, as does my regular dental check up/cleaning. And any kind of pain in the mouth region just freaks me out.

Do you like being physically hurt in other ways?

Chiming in on a me too. Nice to know that while it may not be normal - at least it’s not just me. :slight_smile:

Are you a guy or a girl?

The --nipple thing-- I’m sure has something to do with toughness for breastfeeding. I had sons that chewed. After that, sensation was difficult at best. Nips probably start out numb to begin with…

…and don’t forget breast implants! :smack:

People with excessive brain activity can have very different nerve conduction, therefore having very different pain sensory systems. They can become so engulfed in thought that they may not notice the world falling apart around them. At these times their brains may not register pain properly, even when purposely inflicted.

As a result, people can be either hypersensative(feels too much) and/or hyposensative(feels to little) pain. Catatonics are a good example of too little–they have the nerve conduction velocity of a bedpost, so therefore they are hyposensative to pain. Believe it or not, the same can be said of too much brain activity. Your brain can get shorted out as well due far too many signals targeting specific areas of the brain; the person can then become hyposensative to pain because there is not enough activity being channelled to the right areas of the brain to allow the person to actually feel pain. I would imagine this something akin to what monks have done for centuries. They, from the time they were young, were trained for generation after generation to meditate. Channel all thought at one thing, disregarding all else. Supposedly you could stab them with a steak knife and they wouldn’t feel it. Supposedly…or it could be myth.

In such cases where the person is a ‘deep thinker’(what some may call obsessive)–causing pain can erupt your limbic system(the emotional ‘center’ of the brain) “snapping you out of it”-- causing a rush of pleasurable hormones. WooHoo! Cool sensation. Also, repetative pain-causing behaviors can also be an “exhaust system.” It’s the only way for all that pent-up brain activity to release itself, instead of activity funnelling through limbic system and you having a meltdown. Some people jog, others lift weights to “rip” muscles, some play guitar til their fingers bleed. Your picking your gums and getting a similar hormonal result.

Shrinks used to think self-inducing pain habits stemmed solely from emotional problems. With technology(and doctors opening their minds more) they are finding out that their are many reasons people do things and it’s not simply due to emotional scarring or a traumatic upbringing. As long as you aren’t hurting yourself or anyone else, pick away. Just remember…without a proper diagnosis from a COMPETANT physician you can’t really know the real reasons behind pain-inflicting habits. These behaviors can become quite serious, and be life-threatening. Usually with physical ramifications…compulsive nail biting can cause scarring and the inability to grow nails, infection, neuropathy, gangrene…if it gets that bad.

There are lots of reasons…but the only one that can define “the why” is you. :wink:

Man, I hate when that happens…

It sounds to me like your gums itch.

For those of you who think this is odd, let me clear a few things up: 1. It is hardwired into our brains at infancy to press on our gums to relieve pressure and make them “feel better”. That is why babies chew on anything to relieve gum tenderness. 2. Its not the same pain feeling you would get if you slammed your hand in the car door. This pain is an intriguing pain that causes us to want more until a “release” as you would during an orgasm. So the person who used the term “gumgasm” was not far off the mark. As good as this may feel to you, however, you really should try to stop before you do irreparable damage. As a child, I would take my fingernail and jam it up in my gumline to feel this pleasurable pain. Today I have the worst receeding gumline. So please STOP NOW! Something to help you quit: rub some ambesol or oragel on your gums to numb them (keeping you from getting the usual enjoyment out of your gum pain) until you have broken yourself from your habit. Hope this helps.

Not even remotely close…

Isn’t the internet just fucking incredible

Get back with us in 18 months and let us know. :slight_smile:

And you’re once,
Twice,
Three times, a … zombieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
And I lo-ooooooooo-ve
Youuuuuuuuuuu.
with apologies to Lionel Richie :slight_smile: