Why does it take longer to fly west to east than east to west?

And let’s also get this straight: It is Coriolis and not Coreolis.

Yes, I agree with you. I probably should have explicitly said so.

David Simmons has pegged it nicely. You don’t need to make Coriolis corrections 'cause you’re moving through an accelerating airmass.

And Chronos, I’m surprised at you. I think I know what you were trying to say re the slippage thing. But friction with the Earth and its rotating atmosphere is the whole point. Angular momentum will be conserved and most of the energy conserved, to boot. I know, I know.

There’s a reason the prevailing winds won’t blow North-South on the planet and I think I know what it is.

The OP couldn’t by any chance have been talking about the time zones. :rolleyes:

For instance and flight from Atlanta to Birmingham can leave at 1:30 and arrive at 1:31. That’s just a minute. However, a flight from Birmingham to Atlanta would leave at 1:30 and arrive at 3:30. That flight took 2 hours.

[sup]A drunk at the Atlanta Airport goes to the ticket counter and asks when the flight is leaving for Birmingham. The ticket agent asks if he wants a ticket. The drunk replies “Hell no, I just want to watch it take off.”[/sup]