Why does marijuana smell different than it did in the '80s?

And about the only way you get a seed in modern weed is that the plant pulled its cute little hermaphrodite trick, probably as the result of a light leak in the grow room or some other type of stress. It can happen if a plant is cloned too many times, too. Nothing more distressing than seeing yellow nanners in the grow room!

I’ve had that cat piss strain. I believe it was called Cherry Pie. I shan’t get that one again.

Cat Piss is the name of the strain. One of its major aroma/ flavour components is ammonia. It isn’t too uncommon.

Then there are the diesel strains. Man, I love them. Kind of a chemically taste, but the effect can’t be beat.

Oof, I hate dealing with Diesels, they’re stony AF but the stench is awful, especially during harvest and trimming. Makes me gag.

Cherry Pie isn’t all that pissy smelling but there’s a variant where the Cherry Pie is crossed with Dog Shit (don’t blame me, I didn’t name it!) and that one is kinda stenchy. It’s unfortunate, but that ammoniacal and chemical smell is commonly associated with a terpene profile that goes along with insanely high THC content so if you’re looking for something paralytic, that’s where you go.

A good exception to that rule is the Girl Scout Cookies strains–White Tahoe Cookies have a very sweet fruity smell and some of the others do too. Purple Punch and Ultraviolet could be used for perfume, they’re so floral and fruity. Smell really depends on the terpene profile and that’s very strain dependent.

I do like the diesel strains as well. I get one crossed with Pink Kush that is called Greasy Pink, it is awesome.

Mmmm, how attractive! I think I’ll stick to a dry martini with an olive. LOL

And then there are the sour diesels.

:cool:

STAHP, you’re making my PTSD kick up!:smiley:

What do strains bred almost exclusively for CBD smell like? Not hemp so much as actual product that would be used to make a high quality dispensary product like distillate or some such? Or is it all hemp?

The newer strains like Charlotte’s Web and AC/DC look and smell just like their fuckyouup counterparts–they’re cloned females, and they branch out and build big honking stanky sticky ass flowers and get real tall but they just don’t have THC in them, it’s been bred out. Hemp is cannabis ruderalis and that’s the true industrial stuff, grows 12 feet tall all in one big stalk like bamboo with looooooong fibers and tiny, seedy buds. Very different critter.

And the high-CBD strains have different THC levels–they have to be below like one percent THC to be considered industrial hemp, but there are strains like Harlequin that do have some THC but not as much and their CBD profile is much larger than a strain grown just to mess you up. I like Harlequin, the THC potentiates the CBD quite nicely but it doesn’t get you real messed up. Very good for pain and migraine.

Isn’t ruderalis where auto flowering came from?

The earliest autoflowering varieties did share some genetics with some ruderalis strains but nobody’s completely sure if that was intentional or just a favorable mutation that resulted in a strain that flowers without a 12/12 light trigger that’s been since crossed and propagated to maintain that one favorable trait. All cannabis strains are interfertile, which is why large scale industrial hemp production will wreak havoc on outdoor smoking cannabis production.

I like the smell of a far-off skunk, too. Bill Bryson put it nicely when he talked about a skunk that was just far enough away that you sniff and say “Is that a skunk?”

Probably because you’re buying crap now. Buy hydroponic-grown instead.

Say what now? I can produce fantastic product using soil or a solid soil substitute. Hydroponic growing is one way to grow indoors, but it’s not the only way. IMHO and with decades of experience.

And most people are using a hydroponic variant, which is growing in coco coir. The coir provides a good strong base for the roots to take hold but doesn’t add to the nutrient load so all feeding of the plant comes in the solution they’re watered with. Coir is also basically sterile so you don’t introduce soil borne insects and pathogens into a clean grow room. True hydro is a PITA, you have to make sure the water circulates properly, the tanks don’t spring a leak, that the roots don’t get manky and the solution stays clean and at a constant temperature. Coco is much more forgiving and simple but it is considered to be a hydroponic system for all intents and purposes.

Pure hydro bud, IMO, is less tasty and the buds tend to be smaller and fluffier because the plants don’t develop the same strong architecture as they do growing in medium with a lot of strong air circulation to encourage the main stems to strengthen and thicken.

The biggest difference I notice aside from the smell is that back in the 1960’s weed would give someone a tight head feeling, it felt like an elastic band was tightly wrapped around your head. I have not experienced that since the early 1970’s. Inspite of the huge difference in THC I don’t find the effects to be all that much stronger. I would take the old stuff if I could find it. From what i understand it was mostly grown in Mexico.

Thank you.

I’ve dabbled in hydro (bubbling buckets) just for fun, but I prefer soil or soil subs.
:slight_smile:

Any thought I might have had about trying pure hydro were dealt a mortal blow by a friend who did it for years and listening to him bitch about root rot and what happens when a pump blows or a water chiller stops working gave me an aversion to the idea. Death blow came when I tried using one of those hydro style cloners–oh, just fuck that shit right in the culo. Sure, peat plugs take a little longer but the improvement in root structure and the ease and simplicity more than made up for it.