why does U.S spelling omit the 'u'?

Who, Shakespeare? The guy who made up vasty to fit his meter? Yeah, I’m sure he’d be just distraught at the thought of people playing fast and loose with spelling.

Skakespeare? The man who couldn’t seem to spell his own name the same way twice in a row?

Forget unnecessary U’s. This, in a nutshell, is the biggest problem with the English language. The best thing that could happen to our language would be if we could get away from the “ough” combination, replacing it with more phonetic combinations, and consign this convoluted combination to dusty old books from bygone days.

“Tho the tuff coff and hiccup plow him thru.”

I don’t understand. “-or” is closer to the way I (an American) pronounce words like “color” and “humor.”

Wikipedia actually has a fairly extensive discussion of the issue.

exactly. it goes down to pronounciation.

standard or otherwise.

pronounciation/dialect/accent.

my partner is from seattle and he has a wonderful gist of the tongue. i find other americans more difficult to understand. then again most aussies have a problem understanding south africans or new zealanders.

That’s probably because Seattlites are nearly Canadian!

Besides, isn’t it past time the British return the vowels they pillaged from the Welsh?

along with the irish, scots another unintelligible nation.

when will you people stop bastardizing ( notice i used a ‘z’) the bloody english lingo?

beats me to it…
It always amazes me there are a billion or more people in the world who speak English of some form, but only about 20 million people, all in Canada, who speak it and spell it properly… And know it’s *zed *not zee. (Unless you’re Dutch)

No, they don’t.

Welsh people are British. Pillaging yourself is a bit masochistic.

Sentrix, could you explain to us (the best you can, considering we’re communicating by writing) what you hear as a difference between “color” and “colour”? Most Americans pronounce both spellings identically, and rhyme them identically with “poor” “pore” and “pour.” A few of us, however, do pronounce poor/pore/pour slightly differently, and rhyme color with one of them. What do you hear?

Actually, in my experience, when Americans talk about a U-turn, they quite often seem to mean what a British person would call a three-point turn. Actual U-turns, however, are probably more commonly performed in the USA, given that most US roads are much wider than most British ones.

I think we Americans call it “soccer.”

As if British=English. :rolleyes:

I have never heard someone here in the US refer to a three-point turn as a U-turn. I have only ever heard U-turn to mean a turn in which direction is changed to the opposite way in one movement with no stopping. A three-point turn is a three-point turn.

O Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo?
Deny thy father and refuse thy name;
Or if thou wilt not, be but sworn my love
And I’ll no longer be a Capulet.

Oh Romeo, why do yer have to be Romeo?
Tell yr dad to get lost and change yer name,
Or, if ya can’t do that,
Then I’ll change mine.

A three-point turn is a K-turn. At least it was when I took my driver’s exam.

What were some of his other changes that didn’t catch on? Were they in his original dictionary? If so, did he (or someone later) change them to what everybody was using?