Why don't Americans say "Street"?

Slight nitpick

Not necessarily - the numbered streets are specified as “Avenue” in the Sunset District and “Street” elsewhere. Ex: 19th Avenue takes Hwy 1 from Stonestown through GGP - 19th Street is in the Mission.

[sub]-Dooku, who lives off 2nd Avenue near Kezar Stadium, not 2nd Street under the Bay Bridge. :)[/sub]

Hey, Big Kahuna Burger, how about when Asylum Ave. changes to Asylum St. on the same stretch of road? I had someone tell me to go to “XX Asylum”, only to find out I had been looking on Asylum Ave., not Asylum Street.

Where I grew up, there’s a major thoroughfare called the Berlin Turnpike. We all referred to it as the Pike. When someone said to meet them at the McDonald’s (or any other place, for that matter) on the Pike, we all knew exactly where that was. But everyone I knew always mentioned the descriptor (street, road, circle) when they gave directions elsewhere. Maybe it was due to the suburban nature of the community. We all had time to say the whole address. :wink:

When talking to people who know the area I tend to abbreviate my directions “go down Brookvale and turn into Northampton”, but when it’s not a multisyllable name I often add on the road/street/twittern modifier (giving me a +5 vs confusion).

Mind you, in Cinderford there is a road, Somerset Road, which is split in two. The odd numbered houses are on one road, and the even on another road about a mile away. Confusing?

PT