Why don't we have sugar-free milk?

Wow, really?
Because I’ve always just gone “whoa, that’s old,” and assumed that my sense of smell might be off and tossed it once it had been around longer than I believed milk should be available.
But I am smelling right? And it is ok? (for a while at least).

Many, many thanks to all who have posted here so far; I am far more educated about milk, lactose and the composition of various milk products than I was last night.

My GF is lactose intolerant. I have tried her lactose-free milk and wondered why it tasted so much sweeter than regular milk. Now I know.

I suspected that the fact that the sugars are part and parcel of milk had something to do with the lack of a sugar-free milk; now I know.

It sure would be nice if we could come up with something that tasted like milk but didn’t have the carbs or fat. For now I guess I’ll just keep drinking fat-free moo juice and hitting the track/trail as often as I can.

Thanks again.

:shrug:

There’s a house brand of lactose-free milk that’s available near us. It’s only about 20% more expensive than regular milk, and lasts 4 to 8 times longer in the fridge.

I have thrown out so many half-used half-gallon jugs of regular milk that the switch to the lactose-free variety makes a lot of economic sense for us. We pretty much only use it for cereal and making chocolate milk for the kids, so we don’t burn through it.

Ergh, “sugar” does not mean “monosacharide”. A disacharide, or even a polysacharide (like for example the complex sugars in wheat or rice) is a sugar. Thank you.
The first lactose-free milks offered in Spain had been subjected only to the chemical process. They were, as has been noted, sweeter than normal milk. The varieties now being offered are labeled “lactose-free dairy product” (not “milk”) and aren’t sweeter than normal milk.

Maybe I’m misunderstanding you, but carbohydrates like glucose, galactose and fructose are sugars. Often called “simple sugars” to distinguish them from the “table sugar” sucrose.

For those of us who suspect that they are lactose intolerant and have a sensitive stomach, couldn’t a product like a watery liquid yogurt with splenda (don’t know if it exists) be used as a milk substitute. Would it be missing any important milk nutrients?

Are you referring to Valio lactose-free milk? It’s actually a hybrid mechanical/chemical process.

http://www.valio.fi/portal/page/portal/valiocom/Company_information/Products_International_Sales/zero_lactose26092007162852/Valio_Lactose_Free.pdf

I don’t think I answered your question very well above – the store brand of lacctose-free milk that I buy consistently has a sell-by date that is about 6-8 weeks in the future. With regular milk, I am really lucky to get 10-12 days.