Why don't we have these cool European cars here?

Nothin’ personal pal, just reporting the facts…

I didn’t use any ‘free service’. My friend is a lawyer and searched lexis-nexis. In response to you ‘being there’ I simply say Ok, but show me the court case. I an not saying it didn’t happen, I am simply saying you should back up your statements.

Perhaps there is a misunderstanding about the way turbos work, but I definitely take issue with the phrase “the turbo engages upon downshifting”.
Turbos are constantly spinning–at idle, half-throttle, full-throttle and every other point. However, depending on the turbo, they tend to really only offer a power increase in a certain rpm range. Now I agree that rpm’s CAN increase during a downshift but:
A: the person driving the car is an idiot if they increase by much which I guess is kinda your point.
B: there still should not be a large increase in power EVEN if the rpm’s now kick the turbo into it’s optimum range. As the throttle should be closed at this point, there would be no/little fuel injected into the combustion chamber. No fuel, no exhaust. No exhaust pressure= no turbo boost. Now if you want to argue about full throttle power shifts you’re on your own. Those people deserve to fly off the road backward at 160.

Now on to the BMW’s. Again, unless you have something to back up your statements, the Z8 is the fastest and quickest BMW street production car ever produced. I thought it might be the late great M1, but alas it seems after some research that the Z8 beats it in both catagories. Actually it seems that the new M5 is the second fastest/quickest BMW and some tests show it as faster than the Z8.

I think what you really are trying to point out is that BMW’s european models tend to be faster/more powerful than the same US model. In that case you’re GENERALLY right. The M3 has always gotten the less powerful motor.

Michael

Wasn’t turbo lag a big problem in the mid 80’s that led to the design of the twin turbo? When you floored the accelerator (or down shifted) there would be a delay while the turbo got up to speed (due to its weight), then a huge surge of power when it ‘kicked in’ or reached the speed necesary to provide serious boost. Two smaller turbos solved this problem.

I am not sure whose argument this helps but I just thought I would mention it.

Hi Jimshep,

Yep, you’re basically right. Twin turbos were/are a response to turbo lag. Turbo lag is/was definitely a problem, especially with the old model (930) Porsche. This certainly did make for some scary(entertaining/dangerous) driving. Anyway, this did cause big problems and I can definitely see somebody with more money than brains/experience getting into a whole lotta trouble. And then probably suing Porsche. I’d just like a little documentation. Oh, I still maintain that it’s not possible for a turbo to produce much additional horsepower when THE THROTTLE IS CLOSED.

Michael

• I saw in the local newspaper a few days back, what was a photo of the “new” Hummer: it is total shit. It appeared to be a regular light-chassis ladder frame SUV “styled” like the real (previous) military thing. From the photo, it did not appear to have any of the running gear of the original; it appeared much smaller overall than the real one, and used regular light-truck running gear. Which means no high-clearance axles, which means that the one major advantage it had off-road is gone.
  • The original Hummers weren’t exactly the perfect off-road vehicle, but it did do some things very well and you could truthfully claim that it was pretty much like the military hardware. - MC