Why don't you use the new (heh, 2000) gold dollars

If the US were really serious about introducing a dollar coin, then it would do what other countries (including Australia) have done - simply withdraw the dollar notes. When the $1 and $2 coins were introduced here, I remember many people vowing not to use them. But with the $1 and $2 notes withdrawn, the coins were universally accepted within months.

Unfortunately, because we’ve been so far behind the times in pushing a dollar coin, our thoughts about coins and money have changed. I don’t think coins are considered money anymore, they’re considered “change”, the leftovers from a transaction. We throw them in jars when we get home collecting them until there is enough to bother bringing down to the bank or change counting machine.

Back in the day, when a cup of coffee cost $0.10, you would put your coins on the dresser to be taken back out with you the next day. That quarter buys you lunch, you’re not going to leave it in a jar. Today, it barely seems worth it to put coins in your pocket when you walk out the door.

A couple of times I’ve found myself recently with enough coins in pocket to make a purchase, and it felt downright weird to not pull out my wallet to buy something. Almost like it wasn’t REALLY a purchase.

Given where we are in comparison to prices 75 years ago, we should have $5 coins and no pennies or nickels at all. I would replace our current system with $0.10, $0,50, $1, $5 coins and start the bills at $10. Of course, nothing will actually change (ha!) until you take the bills away, we’re too entrenched to do it on our own.

When I get 'em, I use 'em. But I rarely get 'em any more.

Bingo.

Colorado here.

I have never even seen one. Never. And forgot all about them. I don’t know what I would use them for. I occasionally use the vending machine at work but don’t know if it would recognize it.

Truth be told, I dislike carrying change around at all. Coins are briefly amusing, but I’d rather just have paper money. It folds nicely into my wallet and can be concealed and removed more easily (I always conceal my money overseas). And I pay check-card for most things. So, rather than carry around coins all the time I’d ruther just use light, thin paper cash.

I just used two last night–I get them on occasion from the PO, and always carry a change purse so it’s never inconvenient. The only thing is that, with Susan Bs, I’ve usually gotta say “Here’s 2 dollars” so they don’t just throw it in the cash drawer assuming they’re quarters. Wish I saw them more in general circulation, but guess that’s just wishful thinking…

I have never gotten one of these coins unless I did so deliberately at the bank. This is going to sound silly, but I love them for the Renaissance Faire - there’s just something fun about tossing gold coins into a busker’s hat. It feels more authentic.

That said, I do agree that a dollar coin seems to be less money than a dollar bill, and therefore easier to spend.

I usually think of whatever change is rattling about in my purse or pocket is negligable, it’s just change after all. Start throwing $1 coins in the mix and suddenly that’s real money there. If there’s a charity collection can on the cashier counter I’m fine with throwing my change in there, but not $4.26 worth and I don’t want to feel cheap by sorting thru my handful of coins and taking out the big ones.

This is one of the only things I disliked about travelling thru London, I’d drop a few coins in the guitar case of some subway singer and realize a few moments later just how much I’d actually given. I don’t like 8 different coin denominations, danggit, change shouldn’t be that complex.

That’s actually the problem. People collect the things rather than use them.
The government gave us the impression that they were “new” and “cool”… And people bought it (ha!). They get a coin in change and keep it because it is “new” and “cool”, mix that with the fact that a lot of people are on the other side of the scale and lothe the things, and before you know it there isn’t one in circulation.

Two dollar bills will get you the response of a five, just because its not a one.

At least that’s what I’ve heard

I liked spending them. I appreciate the savings to the taxpayer that they represent. Here’s a quick exercise: Look at the series years on the dollar bills you have on you right now, and look at your change. For dollar bills, I have two 1999’s and three 2003’s. My change: 1997 and 1986 quarters, and 1969 and 1974 dimes. The average lifetime of a dollar bill is around 2 years. You can see why the gubmint would really like to switch to coins!

Sackies were especially convenient for the 1 dollar bus fare I paid occasionally to avoid driving into campus. I kept them in plastic cylindrical case that the local video arcade gave out to hold their tokens. It was a perfect fit, and I always knew if I had bus fare on me. It was much easier to slap a Sackie in to the coin thing than to fuss around with a dollar bill in the finicky bill sucker-uper.

I also kept a few Sackies in with my change. They fit into some vending machines and I also spent them on normal stuff.

I used to get a roll every time I got cash from the credit union. They didn’t keep them on hand in the teller’s drawers, so they had to get them from another drawer. At first, they seemed happy to do it, but the tellers got testier and testier about giving them to me , until finally they started telling me that they didn’t have any. I didn’t believe them, but neither did I want to piss off the people who handle my money, so I stopped asking. :frowning: