Why hasn't the internal combustion engine been replaced?

• Electric motors are better in theory than gasoline engines. Electric motors can operate from zero RPM and many types can operate in both directions of rotation. There have been “demonstrator” cars built that used a motor mounted inside the hub of each wheel, eliminating the need for any sort of mechanical transmission or driveline, and in that system it would even be possible to use the electric motor for either active or regenerative braking, eliminating the need for conventional brakes as well. The practical problem with electric motors is that nobody has yet found a really good way to store lots and lots of electricity without resorting to using a conventional combustion engine as a generator.
  • As to why we still use piston engines for IC, it’s because compared to what’s available, piston engines have a fairly-wide RPM range that they can operate at, and their powerband can be spread over a fairly-wide part of that range, as well as easily be engineered to peak at some specific RPM if need be.
    …Turbine engines can be more efficient, but because their compression and exhaust stages are “unsealed”, only at one speed–their efficiency basically increases with RPM, so they are operated at very-near their top RPM limit, up around 95% is usually the duty RPM rating–and at lower speeds their fuel efficiency drops WAY off. They are essentially considered to be single-speed engines.
    …Rotary engines (as used in the RX-series of cars by Mazda motor company) are more efficient than piston engines by some measures but are also considerably more expensive to produce, and they have a few mechanical weaknesses unique to them. If rotary engines were better on all criteria, Mazda would be using them for all their cars.
    ~

What’s fire done for us lately? Unholy pagan stuff, it is.

1.) Which is the reason for all of the work on the hybrid technology.

2.) Until we come up with something better.

3.) Chrysler tried to develop a turbine car. One huge problem was the amount of heat they give off. On a side note, when the military developed a tank with a turbine engine the heat signature made it a sitting duck for a technologically advanced enemy.

4.) Correct me if I’m wrong but I thought that a major limitation of the rotary was fuel economy. Performance was good but they sucked a lot of gas. Also the combustion chamber seals wore out which is a very expensive maintenance and repair consideration.

Right. The combution chamber has a very high surface to volume ratio, thus greater heat losses. But don’t say “was”; Mazda is selling them again.

Which Chrysler turbine car? The 1963 model? Or the 1981 model which was scheduled to go into production until the Feds ordered the program killed.

(emphasis in the original)

I think you’re right about the fuel economy standpoint, but I also believe that Wankels tend to have higher emission levels as well.

There are indeed ships being used today still powered by steam. The nuclear submarine I was on had a steam plant. I’m sure there are still some fossil-fueled steam plants out there as well.

However, most new non-nuclear ships have nothing to do with steam. These include the common diesel power plants, and the fancy gas-turbine ships.