Why is Diane Rehm still on the air?

Nothing so thoughtful and sophisticated :wink:

I just meant that I am sure they get their share of random input about her voice, and wouldn’t be surprised if, at some point, they (or WAMU, or whomever pays for the production of the show), started to look at alternatives.

Please note - I am not supportive of this move, merely commenting that most media outlets these days are so focused on ratings and analysis that an outlier like DR’s voice may get ruled against. A couple of years ago, NPR “helped Bob Edwards retire*” because they were looking to move in a new direction - I was thinking of that example with my comment.

*At least Bob ended up with a Sirius program and married to Windsor Johnston!

I think most listeners get used to her voice after a while, but I am surprised to see such accolades for her interviews. I think she often has great guests, but her actual questions are not particularly insightful in my opinion. I think she, not unlike Mark Maron, benefits from having unique guests rather than being a particularly strong interviewer. I don’t think either are bad, but neither deserve the acclaim they get IMO.