Why is fluorescent riding gear suddenly so popular?

I think rather it is simply that the more colorful bikers are more easily able to attract a mate than the drab ones, so they breed more and produce more colorful bikers.

Don’t you worry about dazzling other road users with your headlamps?

Recently I got dazzled by a twat on full beams on a lit London street…extremely unpleasant and had to pull over for a minute to recover.

A little light like that isn’t bright enough to dazzle anyone. The handle bar lights I’ve used can only dimly illuminate a patch of ground no further than a few tens of feet away. Really, it’s more like a running light, rather than a headlight. You have to ride pretty slow on a completely unlit path if you only have a few little LEDs.

A 1-watt LED is orders of magnitude less bright than ~50-watt halogen headlights.

Is there a requirement for them to wear helmets off base? I work/live near an air force base and it seems whenever I see someone that’s in the Air Force (at least in uniform) on a motorcycle, they’re always wearing a helmet. For the record, Wisconsin doesn’t have a helmet law (assuming you’re over 18 and have a regular Class M license).

I wear black, keeps me on my toes. This way i NEVER expect anyone to EVER see me. Much safer I reckon. And yes I commute 130kms every day through peak hour city traffic.

Because they want to live perhaps?

Plus it is mainly aimed at the ground 10 feet in front of me - not lighting it up much though.

RP thanks for the heads up, so to speak, on the helmet with the built in lights. I might get one!

Ninja cycling.

Ninja motorcyclist…

There are various campaigns aimed at raising awareness for bike safety (Ride of Silence, ghost bikes, etc). I think they are having some effect, at least on cyclists if not car drivers.

I’ve also noticed more cyclists using flashing red taillights during the day, but that’s probably more to do with availability of the technology (1-watt and brighter LEDs).

Personally, I wear them because I don’t want to die.

I want to know why people on horse back feel the need to wear Hi Vis gear. If a motorist can’t see a bloody great horse what hope is there?

Have you stepped foot in a clothing or shoe store lately OP? Just yesterday I was amazed at the sudden appearance of fluorescent 80s colors on young people, and I noticed in a shoe store a ton of fluorescent shoes have appeared out of nowhere.

AKA I think its just a style being pushed by the industry.

When I went to Europe a few weeks ago, French Road rules dictated that we had to have HiViz jackets for everyone in the car, and if you exit the vehicle on the motorway, you must be wearing one.

I see plenty of people in the UK wearing HiViz in the car, too, over suits and the like. Seems odd to me, but their choice.

I’ve never really done the HiViz on the bike, but I am coming to the opinion that it is probably not a bad idea.

Si

Why would someone do that?

If you break down on the motorway, you are advised to get out of your vehicle and move to a safe location on the outside of the crash barriers if possible. There have been plenty of nasty accidents with trucks etc ploughing into the back of broken-down cars.

Until 2005 it was illegal to mount flashing lights on a bicycle in the UK. It wasn’t a widely enforced law, and you could get round it by attaching the light to your clothing or rucksack, but they are now properly legal, which probably helped increase their popularity.

To place the mandatory warning triangle 100m behind the car, of course. :wink:

Si

The one and only time I’ve had to use one of those warning triangles (my car broke down just after a blind bend), some bugger nicked it. :mad:

I, too, ride with the attitude that no one can see me – cars, vans, pedestrians, other cyclists – I imagine I’m invisible. But that doesn’t stop me wearing hi viz, which is frankly just sensible.

Cyclists in black really ARE invisible. It’s also the ones in all black that tend to nip through red lights and weave in and out of traffic, just to add to the danger.

I love my HIVIZ – it’s comfortable, wind proof and keeps me dry, alongside the more obvious benefit.

That reminds me of the day I found a warning triangle just sitting in the road, no one around*, so I just took it. Haha, free triangle!

*i didn’t look round the bend in the road.