why is Illinois pronounced that way?

Los Altos, CA - a non-pleonastic city on the Peninsula in the Bay Area.
Los Altos Hills, CA - a more exclusive pleonastic town next to it.
The Los Altos Hills - sometimes used to refer to the geographical feature, as a opposed to the town.

No, but they did mangle the existing pronunciation: Prettania* > Britannia

Part of the answer about Illinois might have to do with the earliest French settlers in the Americas having a pronunciation that predated oi = “wa”; in Québec at least, words like moi, etoile, oiseau had until recently (and I think some of them still do) a pronunciation that was closer to “way”. If Illinois was ever “ill-un-way” it’s easy to imagine English speakers looking at the spelling and turning it into “ill-un-oy”.

Is this true everywhere in French? I thought it was specifically a Québecois pronunciation, similar to how er gets pronounced as “ar” so chercher sounds like “shar-shay”.

It’s certainly true as to femme. Though French-French has a distinct vowel shift from English regardless.

Or better yet, go to Cairo GA where Karo syrup is (or was) produced from syrup cane. Pronounced… yeah, exactly…
ETA:

Oops, not quite accurate as it turns out.

And live in Versailles.

(sorry, just thought of it.)

my-AM-uh, oak-luh-HO-muh.

Note also the variant pronunciation of Missouri as mih-ZUR-uh.

Yeah, that one is a mess. I was taught back in 1988 by my 8th grade teacher to pronounce it “GER-tuh,” but I never know exactly how people pronounce it who live near that street and need to refer to it, so if I need to go to that street, I say “GER-tuh, Goathee, however you pronounce it.” But the German pronunciation doesn’t have the “R” in it, so those that say that it’s the German pronunciation are not quite right, unless you have a non-rhotic accent, and then it’s somewhat closer (but still not quite there.)

Here’s how it’s pronounced

OK, not really. (Although I wish it was.)

Hit the play button on any of these. The first pronunciation I can sort of see how an English speaker might hear an “r” in there (which there isn’t), but the others, definitely not. I’ve never heard a German speaker pronounce it with anything that resembles an English “r” to me.

The other Chicago street with an odd local pronunciation, which does seem to be falling out of favor, is Mozart. Growing up, it was generally MOE-zart, not MOATS-art, but now it’s starting to drift towards the latter.