Why is kosher law on meat and dairy so broad?

Because that’s not how the law was interpreted. Odd-sounding rabbinical interpretations of biblical verses are just as likely to seem overly strict as overly lenient.

Is this same thinking applied to the 10 Commandments of Exodus and Deuteronomy or are they considered as one thing?

One Jewigh group in our community set up the string thing to allow their female members to bring their baby strollers into the synagogue during the Sabbath. A neighboring congregation strongly disagreed with their logic and chaos ensued.

The one thing I learned was that apparently neither group had any prohibitions about beating the crap out of their neighbors on the Sabbath.

Yes.

God was very specific. He left loopholes for a reason. You aren’t to do certain things, if he didn’t want you to do other things, he would’ve said those too.

Goyum just don’t understand… :wink:
I’m a non-religious individual, but I’m clearly Jewish, so I understand these things. The laws were written with loopholes for a reason, God wanted them there, or he would’ve specifically outlawed them.

Ten hours? :eek: Who waits ten hours? Most of the people I know wait six (and my family waits three).

As for the intricacy and pedantry of Jewish law, my understanding follows: the idea is that the spiritual world runs on a complicated system, a sort of computer code for the universe. The little hairline distinctions and loopholes are like typing “/” instead of “” in your program. It looks nearly the same, but for the system it’s a big difference.

Little Nemo:

The broad interpretation is at least as old as the Talmud, which means it’s an oral tradition of how to interpret the Torah that goes back a ways further. The details are in Tractate Hullin. It doesn’t apply only to goats, because the word “G’di”, used in those verses, actually means the young of any animal, as proven from the specific term “G’di Ha-izim” used elsewhere for a kid goat. The Talmud there also discusses how scripture indicates that the prohibition is even the meat of one (mammalian) species with the milk of another.

The expansion of this to fowl is a Rabbinic “fence” around the Torah’s prohibition, as is the hours-long waiting period.

Thin line between faithfully following one’s religion and Obessive/Compulsive Disorder.

You misunderstand, I’m not religious at all. I guess I’d be considered a Nontheist.

Its no more an obsessive compulsive disorder than Buddist or Tibetan rituals, which are generally viewed positively by Western Society. It’s more restrictive than, say Christian rituals, but less so than Islamic.

It’s no different than any other tradition, really.

I didn’t mean you personally.

And I agree, many (perhaps most) religions encourage devotion to ritual leading to odd behavior.