Why is mundane white commercial bread sometimes labelled 'Italian'

Yes, that’s just sliced white bread, and what I’ve been talking about - sliced white bread with ‘Italian’ on the label. Maybe it’s drier or less sugar than Wonder bread and such, but it’s certainly not actual Italian bread (which is never shaped like a regular loaf. Unless you make it in a bread machine, flour water yeast salt, no sugar).

I live in the Boston area and to me the only true ‘Italian’ bread is Scali.

I just found on Wikipedia

that this is a regional style of bread, originated by a family named Scali. I actually know a family named Scali although I have no idea if they’re related to the bread makers.

One word: Marketing.

My first rule of food nomenclature: If it’s got the name of a country in the name, it’s not like food they would eat in that country.

A baguette should be very different from a regular loaf of Italian bread. The crust is different, the bread is different. Maybe it’s all in my head, but I grew up on the stuff, I feel like I could tell them apart with my eyes closed (maybe not, I just think I could).

I don’t know about that. I’m half Italian, but everyone from my dad and up is 100% Italian, some of them, literally, right off the boat, plus I grew up with in a large Italian family and we had (and still have) a Italian store that sells Italian bread. IME, if and Italian person is just looking to make a sandwich…like the kind a kid would took to school, they’ll have no problem getting a regular loaf of (Wonder type) bread. They don’t need to hide it under a fake wrapper.
Now, while I’ve never seen Italian Wonder bread, maybe it tastes like Italian bread, in which case, that’s different, but if it doesn’t, than I doubt Italians are buying it…they’d just buy actual Italian bread. If you get it sliced and in a plastic wrapper, the consistency is about the same as regular bread anyways…a little different…but the bread is different. If you want Wonder bread, get Wonder bread.

I do have to stop at a store today, if I see that I’ll get it.

I would, but I actually love the stuff.

Though, I also love the authentic stuff too.

As others have said, it’s a little heavier, denser and drier than anything like “white bread,” although it’s not a hell of a long ways from plain white. It usually has a very slight tang to it.

I use it for stuffing in this region that thinks “sourdough” is a character in a Mark Twain play.