Why is Nazi pageantry still attractive?

The flip side here is that when I recently saw wartime film footage from the Nazi invasion of my home town, I had a strong visceral reaction to it.

WW2 ended long before I was born, I never had any personal experience of it, but Nazis marching through the streets of my town was hard to watch - although I’ll admit it was impressive in a negative sense.

It taps into primitive instincts. You’re seeing a show of strength by a large, powerful social group, and becoming a part of it would probably improve your survival chances. Whereas I saw that group threatening MY group, bad news for OUR survival.

They were probably bass drums, though.

The Sam Browne belt and the high riding boots are part of why the Nazi uniform looked good. The belt makes the uniform coat look tight around the waist instead of hanging shapelessly, and the boots make the legs look longer. The overall effect is that the wearer looks taller and well-postured. It’s nearly impossible to look bad in this kind of uniform.

Here’s Edward, Prince of Wales wearing a very similar configuration. The British wore this type of outfit before the Nazis did. I have also seen many photos of American police officers dressed this way. It is a very sharp look.

Well, yeah, but…that’s what I think of when I see old films of Nazis marching, etc. Can’t help it. I saw Star Wars before I learned about the Nazis, I suppose.

Nazi chic never did much for me. I like the tougher uniforms, such as their camouflage tunic, or their paratroopers, and their navy tropical tunic, which pioneered wearing just a suit jacket over a bare chest long before it was trendy in the 80’s.

But their dress uniforms, both the SS & wehrmacht, is just too “Ruritarian,” like they were dressed not for war, but for an opera about war.

And then ther was this.

Thank you, ignorance fought.

I think that the poster who mentioned flowers really captured it in a nutshell though. We’re wired (either biologically or socially) to find certain things terribly impressive. Most of these things will have a military context, because armies have an inherent need to look impressive. In civilian society, our needs are mostly reduced to entertainment.

So who did design those iconic uniforms if not Boss?