Why is Paradise, NV (pop. 223,167) an “unincorporated town”?

Unincorporated town” is a specific term in Nevada. See the link for more info.

The general term in many states is “unicorporated area” or “census-designated place.”

The largest CDP in the US, according to the government, is Honolulu. East LA is one too.

If an unincorporated township is not a separate city, then what keeps it from being annexed by a neighboring city? Is a county township somehow different from unincorporated rural land?

This is so hilarious.

Ah, yes, the befuddledly anti-urban letterhacks of the Joplin Globe. I think they even hired one of those poor confused souls onto staff once.

Really, if all Joplin was known for was that line and a monster tornado, that’d be…Joplin. [/hijack]

I’m confused. Is Paradise bigger than Las Vegas proper, then? What’s actually Vegas?

Oh, it’s half the size of Las Vegas. Wikipedia is my friend, I will look at the maps.

That’s exactly what the residents of Wood Colony WANT to have happen. They have no say at the Modesto City Council (not being residents of Modesto), so they are working to appeal to Modesto residents to go to bat for them.

That’s the vision that the Wood Colony residents have too! :frowning:

(More specifically, they fear – perhaps correctly – that the Modesto Council would re-zone the vicinity to allow for commercial development, turning all the orchards and farmland there into a lite-industrial area of warehouses and parking lots.)

Because of the scale of that map, what you see are many areas which have distinct identities–as though they were actual cities (East L.A., Marina del Rey, etc.). West Hollywood only became incorporated about 30 years ago, I believe.

But what that map doesn’t show is the numerous, nameless, obscure little patches of unincorporated areas, which have no apparent reason for being so (other than tax dodging), such as
this one I’ve already mentioned in another thread:

This from further up-thread:

IOW, “unincorporated township” is a special designation, perhaps unique to Nevada, which is in effect a city without a city government. Since it’s a city, it can’t be absorbed by other cities without a fight. Since it has no city government, there are no pesky city regulations or taxes.

Neither fish nor fowl, it’s half-each.

State laws usually govern what cities can do, and in most cases they have strict rules about how cities are allowed to annex neighboring land. Even if the land is unincorporated.

Can Modesto annex that area without the consent of it’s residents?

I have no idea, except that the residents there are sure screaming bloody murder about it. At least, they seem to think they are in danger of that happening. As numerous posts have already mentioned, this kind of stuff varies from state to state.

Anybody in Ca know better?

Here is an example of “un-incorporating” - the Weston Ranch neighborhood wanting to get out of the city of Stockton, CA and become part of the county. Not sure if this is considered un-incorporating.

*There are steps the neighborhood can take to detach from Stockton, said Jim Glaser from the Local Agency Formation Commission.

“It involves a petition signed by voters of the area that wants to detach,” Glaser said. “(It) takes 25 percent of (the) voters in that area.”*

I think a municipality can annex land without resident’s approval via eminent domain. But, the specifics may differ from state to state.

Annexation and eminent domain are completely different concepts. With eminent domain a government body is taking ownership of a piece of property. It generally involves a monetary transaction. With annexation the ownership of properties within the annexed area don’t change, only the administrative hierarchy changes.

In other words, I could be forced to sell my house via eminent domain for a public purpose to either the city (if I lived in an incorporated city) or the county (if I lived in an unincorporated area). If I lived in an unincorporated area a neighboring city could, depending on state law and following proper procedure, annex my area but I would still own my house, so that would not be eminent domain.

Thanks, suranyi, for clarifying the difference.

e.g., because a rich person who can pay more taxes than you can wants the land. :mad: