[QUOTE=Kalhoun]
My husband reads, but only stuff about hot rods. He’d never sit down with a novel, or even a non-fiction book. I had a boss who said he had some sort of dyslexia or other impairment that made it painful to read. I go through long periods of time (months) where I don’t read; I have no idea why. Exhaustion, probably. I have always enjoyed it, but at times I don’t feel I can concentrate on it enough to get anything out of it so I shelve the books for a while. Another problem I have is that sometimes I get into some books to the point where I really need to call in sick so I can continue reading. That’s what got me into short stories! A useful tool if you just can’t put it down.
I think the reason people enjoy it is because it allows for quiet contemplation of who you are. There are no critics, no crosstalk; just the information and how it appeals to you. You can create the stage, the characters…all those little details that let your imagination soar. Don’t you just hate it when you see the movie after reading the book, and it just fucks up your whole interpretation of what you read? No one looks the same, the location is all wrong, the voices suck. I think reading feeds the creative side of the brain in a way nothing else can. It is your life experience applied to the author’s art.
[/QUOTE]
Heh, I agree that reading is a more participatory art - put crudely, the difference between reading a book and watching a movie made from that book is akin to the difference between making love and watching porn. ![]()
to reading someone else’s perspective on an issue or event.