Why is Slytherin allowed to exist?

I almost laughed out loud when I noticed their tribunals take place in a literal Star Chamber.

FWIW, in the canon, Merlin (the King Arthur wizard) is noted as being a Slytherin, so take that for what it’s worth. I do think Kimstu’s point is well taken that we are looking at it after Voldemort decided to take it as his own personal power base.

About all of Slythrin choosing against Hogwarts-- If I’m remembering correctly, Draco didn’t want to fight against the school. His father forced his hand. Sure he could have defied his father but he loved him and wanted to make him proud. I’m thinking many of the children chose the side their parents were on whether they agreed or not.

Think of Slythering like the MBA school of the wizarding world. A supposedly necessary evil.

It’s worse than that. MACUSA sent Newt and Tina (one of their own Aurors) to be put to death immediately, while Grindelwald, an actual Dark Lord, was just thrown in jail (so he could escape in the next movie).

Apparently the U.S. school didn’t make it into the movies? I’m surprised.

I love this!

Not quite, for the Malfoys; by that point, Draco was an actual signed-up death eater, having joined up while his father was a prisoner. Fighting for Hogwarts would’t have meant defying his father, it’d be directly breaking faith with Voldemort, risking retribution on his parents.

In the book, by the time of the final fight, both his parents have stopped caring and want out of the whole situation, but don’t dare active opposition. They just want their kid safe and to get away. Draco sneaks in to the battle to try and catch Harry, in an attempt to get his family’s reputation back, but I don’t think he does any actual fighting. Several of the other kids of Death Eaters stayed and fought for Voldemort, though it’s not specified who, or how willing they really were.

Still a possibility, apparently. If you hear of any major movie shooting taking place in the Massachusetts Berkshires, that’ll be a clue!

Exactly, Slytherin is the Wizardling world’s equivalent of Harvard Business. We all know it mostly produces evil that wreaks far too much harm in the world but it also produces a large share of the movers and shakers in America.

In Harry’s time at Hogwarts, there seem to be about 10 kids or so per house per year. For The Battle of Hogwarts, only the oldest kids were allowed to stay, which would be almost entirely Slytherins that have hated Harry for all those years and were besties with Draco. So sure, no Slytherins stayed, but we know almost all of them by name and wouldn’t be expected to stay. Draco, Crabbe, Goyle, Blaise, Pansy, Bulstrode, presumably 3-6ish more. It’s not that striking when you look at it that way.

Of course, that brings us back to the “JK can’t do math” issue that presents itself in most books…

I found it interesting that the Cursed Child sequel actually has Slytherins as the main characters, and they are good people!

Brakebills is good enough for me

There will be evil wizards–it is just the Venn diagram intersection of the evil people and the wizards. Now would you rather have them inside the tent pissing out or outside the tent pissing in?

A much harder question is how she came up with that insane game of quidditch. But that’s been discussed here before.

The first thing I’d do is get rid of the institution that teaches them to be evil.

The only thing insane about quidditch is that the Golden Snitch should be worth 145 or 155 points, not 150. Everything else about it is no crazier than muggle sports.

Ok, why?

Avoids a possible tie.

Don’t know if this is what Chronos is thinking of, but it would keep the snitch from allowing the game to end in a tie.

Yes, exactly. When the ending of a game is inherently asymmetrical, you might as well use that asymmetry as a tiebreaker.

No. Quidditch is a sport invented by someone who doesn’t understand sports. The problem isn’t the potential ties. Really.

Quidditch and the pure evilness of Slytherin are the two biggest problems in the Harry Potter universe. I love the books and the movies, but these were big missteps.