Why is the "P" in corp silent?

Or maybe he’s just getting in early referring to them as “corpses” before they’re shipped off to the 'stan? :frowning:

No, it is just him perpetuating yet another discredited Bush policy.

May I point out that my post was still relevant to the original thread topic.

As other people have already said, the pronunciation comes from French:

Between about 1500 and the present, French pronunciation changed to drop the last sound in many words. Because they continue to spell the words the same way as they used to, this means that French spelling is quite a bit different from French pronunciation. People complain that it’s hard to learn to spell in English because there are so many words spelled differently from the way that they are pronounced, but it’s actually worse in French.

Toiletp?

Kinda highlights the possibility that Obama is just a teeny weeny bit less eloquent and knowledgeable than his supporters have claimed.

:smiley: :smack: :smiley: :smiley: :smack:

American political debate would improve enormously if those spouting gibberish had to accept the logical consequences of their gibberish. Mr. rowrrbazzle, what’s your take on the following quotes?

And one could quote on and on and on from this man once chosen (on the Internet!) by his countryman to be “the greatest living American” …

I wonder what Steven Colpbert’s take on this is.

I don’t know about rowrrbazzle, but I’ve never heard Bush be accused of being a good public speaker, nevermind an eloquent one as Obama often has.

Wendell Wagner, that’s interesting, if that’s true French must have gotten standardized spelling put into play long before English did. Not speaking French, I was frustrated while playing Fact Or Crap last night because there were so many French words in the questions that I had no idea how to pronounce…

I believe that the spelling in both French and English was standardized at about the same time (perhaps around 1500). There have been changes in the spelling since that time, but not as many changes as there should have been to keep up with the changes in pronunciation. Thus both languages have a fair amount of words that are hard to spell because their spelling hasn’t kept up with their pronunciation.

“Pan Ache” isn’t Anglo-Saxon? :slight_smile:

That’s what I weas going to say.

“Because it’s French, and the French dearly love to annoy the English, even if we steal half their vocabulary, mispronounce it, and call it English.”

What is it with the English that they can’t be bothered to pronounce the “e” at the end of many of their words?

Here you go.

Because it annoys everyone else.