Not really that close. And not really burnt toast either. Making toast in the kitchen and the detector is on the ceiling of the (adjacent) hall. Like a previous contributor said, at least it shows it’s working properly. There’s always those stories you hear on the news of folk dying in domestic fires because either the batteries were long dead or the detector had developed a fault.
ionization ones, I think. I had to move one in my kitchen because I couldn’t broil anything without setting it off.
We have a First Alert kitchen detector designed to work in kitchens.
“First Alert recommends installing a photoelectric-type smoke alarm in these (nuisance) areas because it is activated by sensing the smoke from a larger, “smoldering fire” – not, for example, from the smoke particles of burnt toast or a blast of humidity from a hot shower.”