Why is Wednesday pronounced the way it is?

Tibetan is the world champion for spelling/pronunciation mismatches.

e.g. sprul.sku (pronounced tulku)
Most Tibetan words are cockeyed like that.

What everton said.

Except that it’s spelled spelled.

Oh, wait. You’re in Merrie Olde Englande, are you not?* Never mind.

*[sub]Please don’t Pit me. I don’t really think you’re quaint.[/sub]

I like to say:
“You pronounce ‘pronunciation’ pronunciation and not pronounciation, even though you pronounce ‘pronounce’ pronounce and not pronunce.

Let’s call the whole thing off

Really? I always thought it was pronounced Whats-this-here sauce.
:smiley:

I’m actually from Worcester (uk) and can’t pronounce it any other way.* Neither can the rest of england, AFAIK. But it might have been a smart move to respell the sauce name for the larger market.

to the extent that I wasn’t going to specify than what, but for the record it’s quite definately ‘wooster’ with the ‘oo’ a short ‘oo’ if you see what I mean

OK, but what about “Tuesday”? Why do I hear so many people saying it like “Chewsday”? I’ve never heard of the same people going to the store for a can of chewna fish or a chewb of chewthpaste.

Am I crazy, or has anyone else heard this?

Miss Gretchen, I’m sorry to have to tell you, you’re crazy.:smiley:

Miss Gretchen I hear it all the time. To American ears, Irish people definitely - and probably Brits - sound like they’re saying ‘Chewsday’. ‘chewna’ and ‘chewb’, but not ‘chewthpaste’: that’s just silly!

There’s a different sound to the long ‘tu’ than ‘too’ usually. Thats why Americans sound like they’re saying ‘toosday’, ‘toona’, and ‘toob’ to us, which believe it or not sounds silly.

To illustrate: One time when I was ordering breakfast in the States the conversation went like like this:
Me: I’d like a tuna sandwich please.
Waitron: A Chicken sandwich?
Me: No, a tuna sandwich, thanks.
Waitron: Chicken?
Me: Ah, make it a Pastrami.

And don’t get me started on Irish pronunciation/spelling.

micilin (pronounced MICK-uh-LEEN by the way)

micilin - Don’t get me started on Irish/not Irish english pronunciation! The only place on the planet where people apparently couldn’t understand me was Dublin. I had to write stuff down in order to be understood. Or maybe they understood just fine and were just jerks. Or maybe, like Gary T they undestood that I was crazy and possibly dangerous.:stuck_out_tongue: