Why no blue human hair?

What gives blueberries their color? It’s the one naturally blue food that jumps to mind.

Isn’t it the very nature of Natural Selection that lucky breaks and favorable mutations are encouraged to evolve by allowing creatures to survive and reproduce easier?

As for Blue dye, it makes me wonder why companies use products that are 95% undigestable in their food. I really should read ingredient lists better.

Because those products are non-toxic and non-absorbed by the body, so they are harmless, and they aid in the palatability of the product in some way (texture, taste, appearance)? And they’re cheap?

MEBuckner said:

As I said, if you catch sloths applying algae to their bodies (or each other), that might indicate the intentional use of camoflage. But what I suspect you will find is just that the algae accumulates there naturally. So sloths with algae may survive better, which would have provided a selection pressure on sloths that were good environments for algae over sloths that were less hospitable (ones that scratched themselves a lot?). Algae may be providing camoflage the helps the sloth survival, but that is a far cry from saying sloths use algae for camoflage.

Silvermink said:

I wouldn’t use the word “encourage”. But I would say that Natural Selection is a process where lucky breaks and favorable mutations that allow creatures to survive and reproduce easier are thereby spread within the population.

I agree. It’s also a far cry from saying that the algae is there because it provides the purported benefit. It may be there simply because it grows there, and it isn’t a detriment. After all, something that isn’t detrimental (relatively speaking) to the survival of the grandchildren of the species isn’t weeded out by natural selection.

In addition to behavioral adaptations from the sloths (rubbing algae all over themselves), it’s also possible there is some anatomical adaptation, i.e., sloth hair has evolved to be particularly well-suited to being a home for algae by being shaped in a particular way (as suggested by qazwart above).

Yes, that might be an idication that sloths that have algae are eaten less than sloths that don’t, so sloths that were particularly conducive to algae growth survived better (have hollow spots, hair that holds algae well, etc). Those would be evolutionary changes to support the algae-sloth symbiosis. But not indicators of sloths intentionally using algae as camoflage.

DSYoungEsq said:

Yes, if there is no difference to the sloths between having algae and not having algae, the algae might still become prevalent just because it can.

DSYoungEsq said:

Yes, but I wasn’t citing the article for the detailed explanation of the structure that causes the effect. I was citing the first paragraph, which is the statement:

Bolding added.
That confirmed the answer to the question asked. Why that cite and not something else? Because that’s what google found that stated the answer. Could a different cite have addressed the question asked in more detail? Perhaps, but this is what I found and it answered the question adequately. So no, there was no need to actually read the full article and find out whether they actually discovered particular structures to the feathers and such that cause the coloration. The quoted material was sufficient.

And the reason I didn’t quote it in the first place was because I couldn’t copy and paste, but had to type by hand. So I put the link to the page where y’all could read it for yourself, rather than type it out. I guess that didn’t work.

Blueberries are actually a dark purple-red. There’s a whitish bloom that causes them to look blue.

I have the full PDF if there is other info within the body of the article someone needs looking up. I cannot mail the PDF itself to anyone because my name isn’t Anne Bonny.

I think there’s one family of birds (in Africa?) that has true blue pigment.

No, that’s the African swallow (unladen). You’re thinking of the Norwegian Blue (beautiful plumage!).
Powers &8^]