Why No Sir George Harrison?

Does anyone know if Ringo is still a British citizen or not? Doesn’t he live full time in the US now?

Anyone know why Rudyard Kipling refused a knighthood?

But at the time, the knighthoods for Paul McCartney and Elton John seemed extraordinarily unusual. Giving knighthoods to pop stars was unknown before the mid-1990s. Well, apart from the completely exceptional case of ‘Sir’ Bob Geldolf. The whole idea seemed a bit absurd.

But from 1995 that began to change, first with Cliff Richard and then with George Martin. By the time Paul McCartney (1997) and Elton John (1998) got theirs, it was beginning to become something of an annual tradition, but the fact remains that they were right at the front of the queue. It is quite possible that, had he lived, George Harrison would have got one in due course, perhaps as much for his work as a film producer as for his musical career. Ringo meanwhile has become a prime example of that very particular type of British celebrity - someone about whom there is a vague popular feeling that they probably ought to have been knighted by now.

I wasn’t suggesting that Ringo should have been knighted by now. Just ondering why he and the others hadn’t been. One can argue that his contribution to the music industry, and to mankind in general, somehow falls short of the mark.

Think about what Sir Elton has done for AIDS fund raising, along with his contribution to the music world (not to mention his close ties to the royal family), and of Sir Paul’s incredible musical legacy, you can make a case for them deserving this kind of honor.

But has Ringo, as the only remaining Beatle eligible to be knighted, ever been involved in a significantly worthwhile cause towards the betterment of mankind? Were his contributions to music alone worthy of such a high honor? I guess it all depends where you draw the line…

One thing I’ve thought about in these cases: Are they really Sir Cliff Richard and Sir Elton John or are they actually Sir Harry Webb and Sir Reginald Dwight.

They both changed their names legally by deed poll in the dim and distant past, so they are Sir Cliff and Sir Elton.

Harrison was a good and decent human being but when you get right down to it, the Beatles were Lennon and McCartney plus two guys who got lucky. George’s parents let the young Beatles practice in their home and doofy-looking Ringo was seen as non-threatening to John and Paul in fan appeal in contrast to Pete Best. It was a complete surprise to them that in the early days Ringo’s looks appealed to American teenyboppers when in England he was just another guy.

As far as pop musicians being knighted, that had to wait until the mid1990s when their generation could begin to take over the reins of government and reward their favorites.

I think you can choose to be knighted under whatever name you like. Elton John is Sir Elton, but Michael Caine is Sir Maurice.

Dead wrong, but probably a subject for another thread.

As noted, this is wrong, in Harrison’s case, anyway. Harrison wrote a number of Beatle’s songs (and incredibly good ones, too, like While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Here Comes The Sun and Something), and was an incredible guitarist.

There were many, many layers of wrong in Jim’s Son post.

Dead wrong for Starr, too. John, Paul, and George may have become rock stars without Ringo, but they wouldn’t have been The Beatles.

REAL knights do not go around stealing songs :smiley:

But it was Clapton who played the guitar solo in While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

Yes. I don’t know who Jim is, but he didn’t raise his Son right.

Sure, but Harrison played the solo inBadge, so that makes up for it.

George could play.

Colin Powell is also an honorary Knight Commander of the Order of the Bath (KCB), and Rudy Giuliani is an honorary Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire (KBE). The U.S. Constitution provides, “No Title of Nobility shall be granted by the United States: And no Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the Consent of the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince or foreign State.”

And see this: Order of St Michael and St George - Wikipedia

Don’t pass me by, don’t make me cry, don’t make me blue.
'Cause you know, Lizzie, I love only you.
How you’d hate to see me go
With just an MBE to show
Don’t pass me by . . .

I would say it’s pretty likely that Lennon would not have gotten one, seeing as how he returned his MBE (by the way, the original medal that he returned was “rediscovered” last year).

Wow, I would have thought it was obvious and appropriate to award the MBE to the Beatles, but that article says, “The appointment of the Fab Four as MBEs in the 1965 Birthday Honours led to several people returning their own MBEs, complaining that they felt the honour had been demeaned.” So apparently it wasn’t so obvious back then.

That’s incorrect. Australia doesn’t award knighthoods itself, and Australian citizens can’t be awarded knighthoods by the British.

The last British knighthoods awarded in Australia were in 1974. After that, there was the Knight (or Dame) of the Order of Australia, which was abolished in 1983. So, no Australian can be made a Sir.

Australian Honours System

I know Americans like to imagine Australia is a British colony, but we’re not. We’ve been a separate country since 1901, and while QE2 is nominally the Queen of Australia, the actual effect that has on us is nil, and the gov’t of Britain has zero power over the gov’t of Australia.

ETA: Australia is a member of the Commonwealth, but that’s similar to the European Union: there’s no single country in charge, it’s a partnership.