Why on earth are switchblades still illegal?

You beat me to it. :slight_smile:

I’d have to imagine the law is still on the books because, as has already been noted, there isn’t anyone with any political clout agitating for its repeal. (And, even if there were, an “NSA” would lack one thing that the NRA always trots out: the Second Amendment.)

The new assisted opening knives from Kerhsaw et. al. along with just better quality liner locks makes switchblades less appealing.

I can open my Kershaw 1730 just as fast as my Benchmade Stryker Auto and not have to worry about getting a new shiny pair of bracelets.
…actually the Stryker has a lock on it, I just opened both of them and the Kershaw was faster due to the lack of a lock.

It is often impossible to remove absurd legislation enacted in response to a past moral panic. Usually, it is simply not enforced.

For example, in Canada, “Crime Comics” are illegal.

From the Canadian Criminal Code.

Now, there are plenty of comic book outlets openly selling what could be described as “crime comics”. That was a 1950s moral panic, now quite obsolete, but the restriction remains in the legislation …

Actually the Second Amendment doesn’t say anything about “guns” or “firearms”, it just says “arms”. I believe there are “knife rights” groups out there working to overturn various laws restricting knives. That said, District of Columbia v. Heller indicates that bans on “dangerous and unusual weapons” are still constitutionally OK (although one would think being “dangerous” is kind of the point of a weapon…), so even if knives are recognized as being “arms” protected by the Second Amendment, the courts might still uphold a ban on switchblades particularly.

Dave Perlman, the Assistant Attorney General for the state of Wisconsin, said that it is his legal opinion that Kerhsaw knives fall under the states switchblade laws and are therefore illegal:
941.24  Possession of switchblade knife.**
*(1) Whoever manufactures, sells or offers to sell, transports, purchases, possesses or goes armed with any knife having a blade which opens by pressing a button, spring or other device in the handle or by gravity or by a thrust or movement is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.

Here’s the text of the Federal law: “Whoever knowingly introduces, or manufactures for introduction, into interstate commerce, or transports or distributes in interstate commerce, any switchblade knife, shall be fined not more than $2,000 or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.”

Let’s play spot the loophole!

I agree, in the case where carrying a concealed weapon is permitted by law, it doesn’t make any sense to make carrying a switchblade illegal. As noted above, the firearm lobby is probably more well-funded than the knife lobby.

Slightly off topic, I was watching the movie “Let the Right One in” the other night and at one point a bad guy pulls out a switchblade and flicks it open - apparently a universal sign that he really is a bad guy. The movie is from Sweden (I think) but is very recent.

Do out the front (OTF) knives count as switchblades? Because my Microtech snaps open and snaps closed with the press of a button. Very handy to use with one hand; most manual knives, even if they can flick open, require two hands to close. It would be a lot more useful if it wasn’t a felony to be caught using it. Not sure why it’s illegal; considering that it was more expensive than most guns, I doubt many gangbangers are rocking one.

It probably is an urban legend, but I read once that one-armed people can legally carry a switchblade.

Regards,
Shodan

Despite what happened to Mrs. Kimble?

“Arms” != “Firearms.”

The gun rights absolutists have some explainin’ to do.

When you have one hand full and you need to cut something? The possibilities are endless.

I need one for the remote chance that I may one day have to bail out of an aircraft and cut some shroud lines while simultaneously trying not to fall 50 feet to the ground out of a tree that I’m hanging from. As such I am allowed to possess one while in uniform, though I wouldn’t push that to mean that I can walk around on the streets of Pennsylvania with one.

The point is that the law was passed due to moral panic, and like all such laws makes no sense whatsoever.

Incidentally, if you want something similar, look into assisted-opening knives of the tactical-folder variety. You need only push on the blade a little bit and it snaps open the rest of the way by itself. Even better, it’s perfectly legal. Which, ironically, demonstrates the silliness of switchblade laws because of its legality as it is spring-loaded and mechanically opened once you get past the regulatory nanny push.

And in some states, this is exactly the case.

http://www.hydroponicsonline.com/store/img-hydroponics/us-camillus-survival-vest-parachute-shroud-knife_270707973763.jpg

Guess what? That’s a switchblade. I have two.

Yep.

I’m guessing it is a holdover of fears of armed gangs in the 50s and 60s. I’m surprised they didn’t also make it illegal to roll a pack of cigarettes up in the sleeve of your t-shirt too.

Switchblades are awesome btw. And yeah, it is a stupid law. You can carry other knives that can be opened with one hand. Butterfly knives are legal where I am at, so are knives that can be opened with your thumb.

I went to google the scene in Clockwork orange when the gangs get in a fight and one pulls a switchblade and came up with this.

And that is just 70-79, virtually all references are about criminals and intimidation.

So me and Easy Eddie and Big Louie, we was out by the trainyard and we got jumped by a couple a the Vipers. Lucky I had my switchblade.