Why on Earth would Captain America not open on July 4th?

Nah, I was talking about Illinois Nazis.

Some movies open on Christmas day even if it’s a Monday.

[ul]
[li]Because it’s a Monday?[/li][li]Because you want an entire weekend to draw an audience, not after the weekend has already happened?[/li][li]Because lining up movie releases for biggest impact in relation to competing movies has to take into account a lot more important factors than whether it coordinates with a symbolically-linked holiday (Hey! Why not Veterans’ / Flag / Memorial Day)?[/li][li]Because it’s about World War II, not the Revolutionary War?[/li][li]Because they wanted to give Thor enough time to run before it cannibalized its potential viewership?[/li][/ul]

Because that’s a time of year when most people are taking multiple days off from work producing a similar effect as a weekend draw.

I would pay to see that movie. :wink:

"Why on Earth would Captain America not open on July 4th?..In the US at least, or at least the July 4th weekend."

See, you’re sitting there thinking how cool it would be to tie an All-American Super Hero into the consummate American holiday. That’s why you’re not a movie producer. :slight_smile:

Studios want movies to open with a bang and develop viewer-number momentum quickly. That’s why they almost always open on Friday, and why they don’t open one that has good potential numbers on a holiday weekend when hordes of people are traveling, visiting, thissing, thatting, and everything BUT going to the movies.

Yeah, but I also said 4th of July weekend.

Kung Fu Panda 2 looks like it’ll be pretty worthy, and Cowboys & Aliens will just be ludicrous and fun.

Fred van Lente co-wrote the comic it’s based on.

If they’re at all faithful to the source material, it will, therefore, be awesome by definition.

My guess about Hydra over Nazis is that Captain America is just one of a zillion Marvel superhero movies that are coming out and will all be cross-referenced just like the comic books are. Captain America will be in the Avengers movie - this origin movie is even called Captain America: the First Avenger - and any sequels. Nazis would look stupid in the present. Hydra is forever.

That’s my thought, as well. I’m guessing that Hydra is going to be the bad guys in the Avengers movie that’s coming out in the next couple years. I’m also pretty sure there are going to be Nazis galore in this movie, but it’ll be revealed that Hydra has been pulling the Nazi’s strings all along. That’s pretty much what they did in The Ultimates comic, except the Nazis were secretly controlled by Skrulls, not Hydra.

Allow me to repeat myself (bolding mine ;)):

Yet Transformers: Dark of the Moon Release Date is July 1, 2011.

Well, it gives them a good excuse if it tanks. :smiley:

It isn’t possible it won’t be finished by the 4th, but finished by the 22nd?

Hmm. I’ve never read any Ultimates comics and I still figured that out as a plotline. I’d say it’s encouraging that they were as good as me, but I’d never do anything as stupid as that Skrulls plot. :slight_smile:

I hate those guys.

For some reason, I thought you were referring to “1941”, but the Japanese were the bad guys in that one.

Also, they probably want to sell small plastic toys in bulk; small plastic toys with swastikas on have a more limited market appeal.

Reach for the smurfin’ sky, you dirty Smurf!

Huh? The July 4th weekend is often a time for big box office receipts.