Why PCs still have separate memory for CPU and GPU...

I thought the PS3 had separate memory buses fro it’s CPU and GPU?

Rendering/transcoding video is one of the things GPU’s can do a LOT faster, and common home software has been including GPU accelerated transcoding/rendering.

Possibly, but they’d have to rewrite Excel’s core and probably ditch VBA to make it work, and Microsoft won’t do that until they have literally no other choice. VBA doesn’t even properly support multi-threading on current machines, there’s no chance they could implement CUDA-like calculations without ditching it.

Is there now some overlap between CPU and GPU processors? The new ASUS Nexus 7 tablet uses a Nvidia Tegra 3 quad-core processor, but also comes with a 12 (16?)-core graphics processor. Nvidia is mostly known as a Graphics Processor company.

Bob

Most high-end cards do use DDR5 memory. A Radeon HD 7970, for instance, uses 3 GB of DDR5 memory, with 264 GB/s throughput. Even the bottom of the mid-range HD 7750 uses DDR5 memory.

GPUs are heaps better at such tasks IF (note the big “if”) the software can make use of it.

My company does a lot of video work and I just built a PC for them which uses an Nvidia card to work with the Adobe suite. Some things, like encoding, are all CPU based but other things (and I really do not know what) absolutely take advantage of the Nvidia CUDA cores. Or so I am told. The guy who does this work say the PC I built him blows the doors off the Mac he used to use.

Here is a good analogy of the difference between a CPU and a GPU (CPU = an executive and a GPU = a laborer):

You aren’t seeing an overlap as much as placing different components on a single chip (SoC). CPU cores and GPU cores get placed on the same chip but they each still retain their style of processing (and therefore specialty).

NVIDIA licensed an ARM CPU core (almost all phones and other electronic devices other than PC’s use ARM processors), stuck a few of those on a chip and then stuck a few of their own GPU cores on the chip. It’s the same thing all the players are doing (Apple, Samsung, etc.).

Yep AMD already has a line (or two?) or APU’s which are exactly that a general computing CPU + specialized GPU cores.

I have one (the AMD A8) running on my home theater PC. For one low price, and the TDP/size requirements of a standard CPU I get a little chip that does everything pretty well, from processing HD video, recording live TV, to playing games at a nice pace at 720p.

Pretty cool stuff.