Why should Canada be independent of the US?

Is there any alternative you do like?

Snopes classes it as “True” but in reality it’s dubious. Sure, there is a clause that mentions this. And certainly if Texas petitioned Congress to be allowed to divide, that clause woudl be considered as part of “intent” and might even sway a vote or two. BUT, clause or no, Congress must approve any such division.

If we wanted to join with Canada, we just do it gradualy- we have no customs barriers or Tariffs (mostly there). We’d have currency that was equalized, and we’d have free border crossings. In this last we have taken a step backwards with the (bad) new policy requiring US Citizens to have Passports to travel even to Mexico and Canada.

Not in media with less than, say, 50 choices. %90 of the time, every single one of the stations will be utter crap. And if it’s a station I like, it’s probably despised by the majority of the rest of the population.

And so modest with it…

I’m curious as to what makes folks think we’d WANT Canada…even if they offered to join. :stuck_out_tongue: Myself, I’d grab a gun and head north to repel the Canadian Hordes™…

My take on it is that its up to the Canadians. IF there was an actual widespread movement for Canada to join the US, then perhaps something could be done to incorporate Canada into the US. There would certainly be advantages to Canada and Canadians to formally joining the US…more than there would be advantages to the US in having Canada join (despite what Rysto says about US budget deficits and Canada’s booming economy and oil independence…). There are also disadvantages to Canada joining the US…though a lot of the ones that I’ve seen in this thread thus far wouldn’t be issues and stem from Canadians (and even American’s) not realizing that the US is a nation of UNITED States…and that there is a huge variance between states.

My guess is that if Canada joined the US most if not all of the current programs would be able to remain in place…they would just be funded or run at the state level…i.e. they just wouldn’t be national policies for universal health care. 'Course, if former Canadians decided to venture out to other states then that may be a large change…or if adventure minded USer’s went north then things may eventually change (BrainGlutton for instance will be on the next bus headed north if this every happened).

As for politics…well, we might see the rise of a new third party that would unseat one of the current top two (I’ll leave it to you guys to guess which one would probably fail and be replaced). Again, I doubt that most Canadians would notice much difference…especially after a period of growing pains as things sorted themselves out.

The biggest thing though is that (most) Canadians don’t WANT to join the US…they are perfectly happy staying Canadians. And by and large American’s don’t WANT Canada to join up either…we are perfectly happy with them having their country and us having ours. Why rock the boat? I’d say there was a better chance that Mexico will join the US than Canada…and there isn’t but a snowballs chance in hell of THAT happening.

-XT

xtisme, the point of this thread isn’t that Canada should join the US, it’s that (supposedly), there’s just as much reason for Quebec to be seperate from Canada as there is for Canada to be seperate from the US.

I recall in one of his books, I think it was A Republic, Not an Empire, Pat Buchanan expressed hope that the U.S. one day would include Canada – and Greenland! What, Alaska’s not cold enough?! We’ve got some shortage of arctic fish?!

Maybe he’s played Risk too much and is fixated on getting an extra 5 armies per turn.

Ah. Well, it was 2am when I wrote that so…apologies. Carry on.

-XT

I thought Pip’s benefactor was the criminal he helped escape early in the book.

Marc

Both. Magwitch acts out of gratitude, but Miss Havisham out of custom and noblesse oblige (as well as her own idiosyncratic and rather cruel eccentricity).