Why should I care about "grooved pavement"?

This is in San Francisco, and the sign’s been there for years, so it’s not a construction zone. (O’Shaughnessy for the locals). I makes sense that it’s to warn about the change in driving conditions, as misnomer says. We have a rather large percentage of idiots on our roads too. :smiley:

Thanks for the reponses everyone, and welcome to the boards Civil Guy!

[QUOTE=Dooku]
I am. :slight_smile:

Right now?!!

I noticed this on my commute this morning; there’s quite a bit of work being done on 45 here in Houston, the land of perpetual construction, and it seems there’s quite a bit more grooved pavement this week than there was last week. When you say they “mill” the pavement, are they actually grinding down the concrete? What do they use, and what causes the grooves to run in one direction?

I don’t know how they do things in California ( :wink: ), but, from what I saw, milling and resurfacing did, indeed, leave grooves in the milled pavement. And that’s pretty much what I was referring to: milled pavement, not rumble strips or that fancy PPC pavement. {grin}

Sorry, yBeayf, I don’t remember enough about the milling and resurfacing process to answer your question, but hopefully Civil Guy or someone else can. :slight_smile:

(There’s a joke about “groovy” pavement in here somewhere, but I just don’t feel like figuring it out (and the payoff probably wouldn’t be worth the effort)… )

I’m multitasking. I’ve got my Blackberry here in front of my helmet. Sure, it’s a little unsafe, but what the heljkjclbxb[sub]dfgdfggfd[/sub]

[QUOTE=Dooku]
There’s a roadsign on my commute that warns about “grooved pavement.” Why would I care about that? I can understand if it made the road less safe somehow, but I can think of why that would be - the grooves aren’t so deep and trecherous that my car is violently thrown to one side - in fact, I notice no difference at all when I drive over them, other than my tires making a small amount of more noise. It’s not like I read it, then grip the wheel and prepare myself for some dangerous hazard. If it were raining, the grooves would actually help, right? And as far as larger trucks are concerned, wouldn’t the weight of them and the size of the tires make it less of a concern?

Your car also starts to behave similarly to a record stylus tracking the grooves of a record. Where the grooves go your car will too. Any violent shifts in the direction of the grooves will have a noticeable effect on the direction your car is travelling. May sometimes knock you a bit side to side.

Recently they resurfaced some sections of elevated freeway here (AL), for this very reason. From what I understand, the concrete remained essentially intact, but a new grippier topping was applied. What is this, and how do they get it to stick?

Nobody has pointed out the blindingly obvious fact that you shouldn’t be driving on the pavement in the first place. Keep to the road, goddammit! :wink:

Motorcycles act very funny on grooved pavement. In a car, one hardly notices. On a motorcycle, it takes some time to get used to your bike wanting to weave all over the place. The key is just to relax on the handle bars and don’t fight it. Just let the bike do it’s thing and don’t worry about it.

Oddly enough, cars with very wide tires and/or low profile tires tend to be extra-sensitive to grooved road surfaces and well as ruts, etc. They tend to wander and/or communicate the grooves back through the steering sensation.

Lane changes might take on a slightly different feel as well.

Yes, I get this “tramlining” effect on the motorway near where I live - the slow lane gets lots of heavy lorries which have worn quite deep grooves in the road surface. It really grabs the wheels on my current car, which has wide tyres, whereas on my old one with narrow tyres it wasn’t so noticeable.

I still maintain that you shouldn’t drive on the pavement, though.