Why should the gov't bail out the airlines?

jshore wrote:

You’re right. I meant to say that the Boeing 747 is the most efficient motor vehicle ever built.

[QUOTE]
I am also under the impression that rail is more efficient than planes, although I could be wrong on that.

[QUOTE]

Don’t forget, it’s miles per gallon per passenger we’re concerned about here. Sure, a 600-passenger diesel train burns less fuel per hour than a 600-passenger 747, but the 747 covers a lot more miles in that hour than the train does.

The Monterey County Herald reported late last week that both United Airlines and American Airlines were fined millions recently due to lax security practices (read: didn’t do jack) discovered during routine checks by the FAA.

I say let the government (and the taxpayers) bail out the rest of the airlines and to heck with UA & AA.

I’m for bailing out the airlines, but they damned well cancel their dividends this year.

If they pay out millions on their stock, then it is bullshit to give them a bailout.

I second that, Freedom.

A dividend is a portion of the business’ profits returned to the investor. If they’ve got profits, they don’t need help - and if they receive our help, they’d better not be doling some of it out as ‘profits’.