Why the bias against men's long hair?

Around here it suggests ‘drug dealer’, judging by the number of times my husband was asked for drugs back when we used to go clubbing. :face_with_peeking_eye:

Me too. :smiling_face: I hope my husband keeps his long enough for it to turn silver.

Wishful thinking! :laughing:

I love a man with long hair…

Now the man bun? Nope. Nope. Nope.

Does your husband know?

I love a man with long hair, too. He’s my husband. :wink: And i enjoy the hair.

Does it count if it’s nose hair?

You know me! :upside_down_face:

Between the two of us, we have perfectly average hair length.

See you on the snow, My Friend!

And religious.

Are you skipping over safety razors, or including them in “disposable”? Because there was a good long time between straight razors and what I consider disposables (almost all plastic, often multi-blade). Only the blade of a safety razor is disposable. And they are making a comeback.

But women in the military are allowed anything from shaved bald to long hair in a ponytail.

Yes, this. And I understood the sense of the word you were using.

Technically I think they’re all considered types of safety razors. But, yes, I’m lumping them all in as disposable.

I agree that they’re probably all technically safety razors, so I should have said early safety razors, maybe. But I don’t think they should all be considered disposable.

I own a vintage straight razor as a curiosity. I own a Gillette Red Tip Super Speed safety razor that’s over 63 years old because it’s excellent to shave with. That’s not a disposable razor.

That said, I agree with the assessment that being clean shaven was not easy or expected before the advent of good disposable razor blades.

You don’t throw away the blade on the Red Tip when it gets dull?

I can see that, yes (really the combination of the disposable blade and the “safety” razor head that holds it fixed and limits how much of it is exposed). I can imagine before that even men who did not affect full facial hair as their style would be stubbly much of the time.

Of course, after that, the shaving products industry made a Big Deal of building up an expectation of always having a clean, baby-smooth finish when your activities involved being seen in public. It has worked itself into many men’s (and women’s) psyches, too, the apprehension that you are looking unkempt as soon as you can barely feel yourself minimally scratchy, so a lot shave daily when maybe we really should not need to.

As a women I am not shaving my face I’ll epilate my chin as needed but peach fuzz is okay.

But then I go sans makeup.

Yes, that’s why I emphasized disposable blades in the sentence after the one you quoted.

As @JRDelirious says, it’s the combination of the safety razor and the disposable blade that made shaving much easier and safer.

You can get a straight razor that holds disposable blades – it’s called a shavette. But it’s rarely used because shaving with a straight razor can be tricky, even if you’re starting with a very sharp blade.

I wonder how the same innovations affected how common it is to be shaved bald? (Vs clipped close, but stubbly.)

And here I thought the expectation was always whatever pissed off one’s parents, or at the very least the opposite of whatever hipsters were sporting 5–10 years ago. Analogous for covering oneself with tattoos or piercings.

That my wife will tell me to trim.

I shave my face. I have dark hair and paleish skin, so the peach fuzz looks like dark shadow if I let it grow. I really resent having to shave half my body, but at least it’s usually not painful.

I’d be up for a dermaplaning session, using razor, laser? for extreme facial exfoliation.