Why the film-love for craftsman bungalows?

I never heard the term “Craftsman bungalow” before; at first I imagined the house that it was once possible to mail-order from Sears & Roebuck (some assembly required). But thanks to this thread, I’ll probably be noticing it all the time in movies now.

I read this thread 3 days ago, and wondered what the heck you guys were talking about.

Then I saw **Disturbia **last night, and said “hey! Craftsman bungalow!”

Oh yeah, the Sears kit houses are part and parcel of this style, for sure. The style refers to both the kit houses, and original builds that were designed with the same look.

Sears also sold kits for other styles of houses, but the popularity of the arts and crafts style had the effect that these days, it might as well be a synonym. If someone was talking about a Sears house, I would assume it was arts and crafts (or maybe shingle style, depending on the area and time) unless another style was specified.

You realize it’s probably just one set, decorated different ways for different movies/sitcoms?

Huh? What do you mean? A set is generally torn down at the end of shooting. An actual rented house isn’t, of course, and it may be that the same few people are renting their houses for location shots often. But while *stages *are reused, the sets built on them very seldom are.

We walked around this sweet house yesterday. Incredible porch, tho the fireplace wasn’t what might have been hoped for. Quite a bit overpriced for the house, IMO.

Not that you know what they are, you’ll be seeing them everywhere. And a lot of the most obvious images are exteriors, clearly not generic sets.

I took my son to see the execrable first Garfield movie a few years ago. The film was awful, but the house! the house! I was in raptures. I was grateful the sequel was set in Europe or somewhere, so I could not be tempted to sit through another horrible version of that stupid cat’s exploits just to admire the craftsman architecture.

I often wonder if cop shows, that need new interior locations every episode, use real places or actually build sets every week.

I’m sure they dress sets to suit, and a few special sets may get built for particular gags, but it seems infeasibly expensive to build for every place they need to go.

:eek:

And about one-third of what it would go for in the Bay Area. My house is half the size and 150% the price.