Why would God create people this stupid?

Or rather, the biology teacher mentioned some theories of the origin of life, including spontaneous generation and creationism. He then went on to point out that the scientific method points to evoultion, so we’d be studying evolution. It was such an obvious way to deal with the issue, I don’t know why more people don’t take a similar approach.

Actually, it looks more like 50-50 to me. :slight_smile:

IIRC, your opinion is that there is no point in becoming educated on the creation vs. evolution debate, because education is just another opportunity for the devil to fool you.

Am I right? If so, then why send your kids to school at all?

-Ben

One time when I was talking about this issue over at the infamous LBMB, someone asked me what if I died and God told me that evolution was false how I would respond.

I told the person that I would reply, “Why did you go about with all of the evidence saying otherwise? Why did you encourage those of weak faith feel they had to lie for you?”

This seemed to satisfy the person who asked me.

(I realize that only a few chowderheads among the most devout feel this is a salvation issue, but it doesn’t stop me from making the comment) If God really is going to send people to hell because they had the audacity to believe the facts in front of their face that He presumably allowed to be put there or put there Himself, then I want no part of this “heaven” concept.

Yer pal,
Satan

I voted on it too. I clicked on “evolution”, hit the “button” and saw the results. It won’t let me vote again, however.

Last I saw, the results were 50-43-5, in favor of “evolution,” out of 80,586 votes cast.

Maybe your God wants dummies. My God want’s brilliant people, dumb people, short people, old people, black people, fat people, thinking people.

Yup, Tranq is religeous (Born Again, no less), but it doesn’t mean I mistake the Bible for science. Evolution is Science, Creationism is Faith.

Actually, I think the question should be, “how come so many people are ignorant”. Ignorance isn’t stupidity, unless it’s willfull.

The poll is now 50% to 43% in favor of evolution, with the rest fence-sitting.

::Shakes head, mutters ‘We’ve got a long way to go.’::

I find willful ignorance of any kind disturbing. The fact that there are so many people in the world who outright refuse to think for themselves does not bode well for our continued survival as a species. There is no way for people to make educated decisions if they do not know how to think and think well, instead of thinking in the tight little circles willful ignorance forces you into. It does not bother me that people are religious. It bothers me that people refuse to accept new ideas.

I’ll be in GQ or The Pit, trying to forget there are people out there with absolutely no independent thought processes.

How was it a small margin? The two half-witted rich boys beat all the interesting candidates by a zillion votes.

I think creation science as it stands should be taught in high schools. No, that wasn’t a typo. Teach it, compare it with evolution. Explain how the world was Flooded a few thousand years ago, but we still have trees, and there’s an astonishing lack of evidence of such a flood. Teach that God gave us the ability to synthesize Vitamin C, then removed this ability. I could go on… In short, put evolution side by side with Creation Science, and expose CS for the utter tripe that it is.

My $.02
Quix

WB, let me ask you this:

given that the Hindu creationists would probably love to have their ideas taught in public schools, and since you claim that we won’t know which theory is “good science” or “bad science” until we die, should we teach Hindu creation science in public schools? I mean, why not let the kids make up their own minds?

-Ben

Well, hell, maybe we ought to just teach them that the earth rests on the back of a tortoise - and that it’s tortoises all the way down. After all, maybe our satellites are lying to us and that REALLY is the truth. Or, perhaps, since descent with modification seems to be the best explanation, we should go with that. As soon as you have one shred, one single piece, of evidence that we were put here by a magical deity who then took pleasure in drowning most of us, we’ll teach creationism.

>So lets let the kids decide for themselves which one to >believe in after they weigh both sides.

Maybe we should teach them that after we die, we’re taken aboard a spaceship hiding behind a comet so we can advance to the Level Above Human. Let them decide for themselves.

Sheesh.

And maybe I’ll remember to use the

[quote]
tag rather than pretend I am on Usenet.

ben wrote:

Not to attack you, but it is my understanding that most modern religions understand religious literature in the metaphorical spirit it was written in (this impression from the numerous non-western religion courses i took to satisfy the theology requirement at a Jesuit college). The few Hindus I have talked with on this did not take their creation myths any more literally than the Catholics I grew up with (My private Catholic grade school taught GASP evolution as truth…).

To make point I did not make well in the above post, it is my understanding that only the Christians have sizable sects that beleive in the literal truth of their creation myths - most others are concerned with keeping traditional customs, morals, and laws.

To paraphrase from Bill Hicks…
“I imagine God running around, burying a buncha fossils. Then you die, go to Heaven, St Peter says ‘Did you believe in dinosaurs?’ ‘Well, yeah, there were fossils everywhere!’ wrath of God ‘You moron! Giant flying lizards! That’s one of God’s EASIEST jokes!’ And bound for the lake of fire you go.”

It’d be a cruel God to create a world, fill it with evidence, give us the ability to reason and think critically, and then demand that we ignore all evidence.

I don’t know about you, but my God wants me to figure things out for myself.

You are testifying for atheism, which of course turns the religious people away from the theories of evolution. As was said by a certain moderator, “Evolution by itself is no proof that God doesn’t exist.”

How does anything super_head posted qualify as testifying for atheism?

You should repeat the phrase from “a certain moderator” until you understand it. Championing the cause for science, and by association evolution, does not equate to promoting atheism.

I don’t have time to comment right now on all the posts, but I did want to say something about this poll.

In many cases like these, creationists will send out e-mail blasts to those who they know will vote their way. They want (nay, need) to make it look like there is a tide of public opinion on their side. That’s the problem with these unscientific polls on the Web – they’re, well, totaly unscientific. They are meaningless. They are crap.

Heh. David,B, did you get the email “blast” from CSICOP? What does that say about our side? :wink: I agree, of course, that the poll, being unscientific (on O so many levels) is not a true reflection of public beliefs.

D*mn Straight!

I’m a religeous man, my mother is a minister, and I’m Born Again, but you know… The more I learn, the more amazing God becomes. To fail to learn, explore, to seek, is a failure to seek the true Glory of God.

God has created for us this amazing playground, and to refuse to play is insulting and foolish. Go forth and explore: The more you find, the more there is to find, an infinite vista for the mind and soul.

‘Creation Science’ is like standing in the corner and pouting because you wern’t given everything on a platter. Get over yourself, and go out and play. We’re waiting for you to come join the fun…!

I realize you’ve gotten a lot of disagreement over this and I don’t mean to simply pile on but I disagree wholeheartedly with your statement. After all, they are STUDENTS, and have a right to expect the truth in class. Anyway, a couple of points about this:

A) AFAIK, the numerous debates on this topic, here and elsewhere, have resulted in very few conversions. Creationists fear social ostracism or hell if they change their beliefs and scientists have too much evidence to ever change.

B) Given that publicly stated beliefs, either in science or religion rarely change, do we really want to raise a generation of people that believe the Bible is literally true. That the world is 6000 years old, Noah had every animal in the world on a huge boat, God cancelled inertia for several hours and made the earth stand still, etc etc.

As far as item “B” goes, I would say definately not. Belief in creationism goes hand in hand with other beliefs in the supernatural, a very poor substitute for science when dealing with the real world.

As an oh-by-the-way, I remember certain preachers(Southern Baptist type) damning people who didn’t train children in a religious belief system at an early age, utterly rejecting the idea of “letting them decide for themselves.”

Regards.

Testy.