Why would the IRS send me a certified letter?

Sorry to leave you guys hanging. I picked up the letter and it was bad news; a problem with a previous years return. But not as scary as I thought.

I’d rather receive a dead fish wrapped in newspaper.

Sorry you’re having a problem, hope it gets worked out without too much hassle.

You probably don’t need to be told, but don’t ignore it. I did, years ago, and the IRS attached my bank account. It turned out okay though. After the audit, the IRS owed me money.

Also, just because THEY tell you it is an error in the their favor does not mean it is so. Received a similar letter and had an accountant look at my filing from that year and every year after. Cost me very little and he did find my mistake, in my favor. He answered the IRS, they agreed, and refunded a nice bit of money plus interest.

So, unless you absolutely sure the error the IRS identified is correct, you may wish to have a disinterested party take a look.

Mmmm…sushi.

That’s right. A few years ago I got a letter from the IRS saying I owed them some additional money. I was sure they made a mistake so I wrote them a detailed letter explaining exactly what I did and how I had followed their instructions precisely, and how their letter misunderstood my situation.

About six months later I got another letter saying that I was correct and now I did not owe them anything.

IRS is the most hated government agency on planet earth and for good reason, they are all heartless robot evil skum and the majority of them are out to get you just because they are jealous or enjoy hurting other people or both. They are all low earner small minded people who have miserable lives and enjoy the tiny bit of power they get from their slave job & can’t wait to make the innocent suffer.

must of been a pretty big problem ? why did it require certified ?

Check the date of that post.

This is an old zombie thread, you’re probably not gonna get an answer to your question.

Especially since the post being quoted was the OP’s last post on this message board.

Dang, was the OP disappeared??

Well… the IRS. I’ve said too much.

I thought they were kinder and gentler now.

He could also stand to read the thread, as doing so would probably answer his question.

Probably.

Let’s put this one back to bed.