Why would you NOT bring something to read??

My wife has had umpteen eye operations for detached retinas since December, and she manages it. We’ve had the same experience as the OP - this group often has long waits (from cramming in emergency cases, I’m not complaining) and some people don’t bring books and complain.

But what really gets me are those who start cross country air travel with nothing to read and nothing to do. They just stare into space. Makes me wonder how many functional brain cells they got. Me, I bring enough books so that if we get hijacked to Cuba for a week, I’m covered. I did run out of books on one trip once, but there was a handy mall with a bookstore just one exit from my hotel, so it was okay.

So, no bookstores in Toronto? :stuck_out_tongue:

Because I always have my iPod and my PDA (on which I can play Scrabble). And a paperback takes more space in my purse^H satchel than those two combined.

(Although there’s always some reading material on my PDA as well.)

I hate when I’m halfway through a book, and know I’m going to have some waiting time ahead of me. I agonize over estimating the time I’ll be waiting and how much book I can read in that time. Do I bring a second book, making my bag heavier? Do I start a different book and leave the half-finished one for another time?

Which reminds me, I need to visit the library this week, because I’m almost done my latest book. Where’s that “whatcha reading” thread?..

The story isn’t the point. The actual act of reading engages the brain in a much more complex way than simply staring and drooling in front of a movie screen. You have to THINK to read. You have to exercise your intellect. You have to perform a cognitive task. Call me a bigot buy I instinctively tend to have a lowered regard for people who say they don’t like to read. To me that bespeaks an incuriosity and intellectual laziness.

My step-brother is a historian who has written a few books. He was set up on a blind date by a mutual friend. The first thing that she said when she got into his car was, “I know that you’re a writer. I don’t read.” The date didn’t go well.

I don’t read much fiction but I do read news as well as scientific and skeptic’s journals. I’ll always buy a news paper if I know there will be a long wait or surf the net if I can have my laptop with me.

I have to say that it never occurred to me to be concerned with what other people are reading or not reading. It’s not something that I’ve noticed. I almost never start conversations with people in waiting rooms but I usually appreciate it if someone tries to talk to me.

I didn’t want to lose my place in line, and maybe read through another book waiting in line a second time.

Once I read an essay about the value of, sometimes, letting your mind be at rest. I think it was by Lewis Carroll. He likened the mind to the stomach: it should be fed, and then it should be given time to digest. I often sit in waiting rooms and go through airplane trips without reading anything because I rather liked that idea; these are some of the few places where I have an excuse to just sit and let my mind wander. To always, always, always need entertainment doesn’t seem quite balanced, to me.

But then, I don’t complain about being bored.

I used to be married to a guy who would play his electronic golf game when he would get up in the middle of the night to go pee. I’m talking two minutes maximum! He was like that all the time; needed constant input from the radio, the TV, whatever. Of course, I’m biased, but I do think he was mentally unbalanced.

I usually bring a book or magazine with me. If I don’t have something to read, it’s usually because the trip required too much other paraphrenalia and I didn’t want to carry another item. I have the complete works of Shakespeare from the Gutenberg Project on my PalmPilot for those occasions.

If I were a receptionist getting complaints from these people, I’d be hard pressed not to offer them a book. Maybe the Seven Habits of Highly Effective People.

For those who want to start a chat while I’m reading, how about this? “Oh, how rude of me to read in front of you without offering you a book! Here, would you like one of these?” (open tote bag of assorted literature, magazines and non-fiction).

I picked up a love for reading from my mom and grandmother. I’ll read anything and everything.

But sometimes I don’t feel like reading. Sometimes I’ll have a perfectly engaging book in my purse and decide to not read it. Sometimes I just feel like staring off into space and disengaging for awhile. Or mentally reviewing my grocery list. Or thinking about what I have to do to prepare for my daughter’s birthday party. Maybe it’s the anniversary of my mom’s death and I’m thinking about her. Perhaps I’m daydreaming about what I’d do if I won the lottery.

It seems to me to be the height of arrogance to assume that just because you see someone not reading at a time when you would choose to read, that person is a “puddy person”.

No, but they had an extended article about “The Kitchen of the Future” which had some now-standard features and some things I don’t see happening anytime soon (like a webphone; essentially a telephone with a large viewscreen so you can Google while talking or something).

Needless to say, after 6 years, quite a few of the pages of GH had been torn out, too.

If that’s the same one that tried to kill you, I’m sure he *is * mentally unbalanced! :eek:

Slow day, Skip? :smiley:
Before I posted I almost went back and added a smiley face, but I thought "the mods probably have enough sense to know that “Dorky Bookworm McNerdface” is not a real insult. I guess that goes to show you can never be sure of conveying the right “tone” on the internet.

As someone in the film industry I take particular insult to this. Watching a good show can be just as if not more cognitive than reading a novel. Both tasks involve:

1. Staring at something
  2. Following someone else’s narrative, looking for symbolism, clues, etc.
  3. Lounging and possibly drooling

So what makes reading a novel superior? People used to think playing video games would instantly make you stupid, but then studies came out that showed they actually engage your mind. I guess people always need an enemy. Bigotry, like you said.

If it’s me, I’m probably composing a story or other document in my head. Your reading material has to come from somewhere.

Yeah I’m one of those “puddy people” too. I have a PDA loaded up with ebooks, games, and movies, but I hardly ever need to use them. There is a lot of stuff I enjoy thinking about, and if some intellectual book readers think I’m vacant when they see me staring off into space - well, I can’t help being unfairly judged.

I have the same prejudice. If I don’t see any books when I go to a person’s house, I know that I’m in for a very tedious evening. (Almost as bad is when the only books are matching sets. Nine times out of ten, if you open one of them, it makes that virgin crackle of a never-read book.)

The prejudice becomes out-and-out dislike when someone states “I don’t read,” in a tone of pride, as if it’s some sort of accomplishment.

I’ve met a few people who were actually hostile to reading. One was a man who came into a store in which I was working. He kept pointing to items and asking the price. He did this for so long that I finally said, “Sir, the prices are marked on the shelves right in front of the item.”

“I don’t read,” he said haughtily. “It’s stupid.”

“How do you manage?” I asked, dumfounded.

He shrugged. “There’s always someone around to read stuff to me.” He then proceeded to go on a rant which had the tone of something well-rehearsed, and was delivered in a manner which plainly revealed that he thought himself hysterically funny. It consisted of reasons why reading was a waste of time because everything worth knowing was in movie/TV format, along with his theories on why the country is such a “shithole.” Turns out the “eggheads” have been in charge too long. I think he was a bit offended that I wasn’t laughing.

Another was a friend-of-a-friend who used to come over to visit my room-mate. She was always rolling her eyes at the books lying around the apartment, and had once opined that she didn’t read because “I have stuff to do.” )Whereas I, plainly, did not. She pitied me a little, I think, imagining that I must be terribly unpopular to be left at home with nothing but a book.)

One evening, we ordered pizza from a place we’d never tried. The history of the building the pizzaria was located was written on the lid, and I started reading it. She actually batted the box from my hands and exploded, “Why do you have to *read *everything?” I never did figure that one out.

It’s a large tote bag/organizer sort of thingy, really. A HUGE main area and several zippered pockets, inside and out, with pouches for things like cell phones and extra glasses and such, and slot pockets for a bunch of pens. I can fit at least two hardbacks in there, possibly three.

My daughter works in a used book store (a local chain) and is allowed to borrow books from inventory, just like borrowing from a library. Since she and I have somewhat similar reading taste, this means that I get to read quite a few books for free too. The pay isn’t great, but there are benefits to the job.

I bring paper and pen. I’m writing my own book.

Whaaat!

No, I really am. Can’t get my mind off it.