#WhyIDidntReport

Even know, there are fuckers trying to argue that maybe it was just an attempt to persuade.

I didn’t report because I liked the attention. I was 14-16. It was exciting. I had no filters and it felt good. I was too young and he was married to my mother. No was not an option.

I didn’t really want to give all that detail, frankly. But I felt it was important to tell about how a conviction can be and was horrific.

About my mother: I never blamed her for the abuse.She said she didn’t know and I believed her. What I did blame her for was how she handled the aftermath. She was so driven she didn’t see or ask what it was doing to me or my sister. I was convinced until my late teens that it was inevitable that he would someday find my and kill me for testifying against him. I was panicked when he was released even though we were in another state by that time.

Decades later, there is some satisfaction that he was convicted, but I still would have chosen not to testify.

And that’s why that quote was painted on the wall over the girls lockers in that high school. “The more you act like a lady, the more he’ll act like a gentleman.”.

And that’s also why there was all that baffled clueless anger when it was painted over by popular demand.

I wonder if more men came out about having been raped, if things would change faster?

Wait - don’t mean that you think it was your fault, do you? Because, yes, you made a bad decision, but no, it wasn’t your fault. People make bad decisions without getting raped all the time.

I tend to read that as “3 out 4 women do not take public transportation”.

A couple years ago, during a conversation with a female friend, I jokingly noted that my last three exes had been raped at some point in their lives and I wondered what that fact said about me - at which point she revealed she’d been GHB’d, too. Which prompted me to ask every girl I’m close enough with (or who seemed tipsy enough to answer even if they don’t know me all that well) over the following month or so.
The answer is one. One has never been raped (or “didn’t want to but didn’t explicitly say no because X”).
Oddly enough however, I have never met a single man who admitted to raping anyone. My best guess is, it must be just one very busy guy.

Or 3 out of 4 women do not walk down the street. Or 3 out of 4 women do not ride their bikes. Or 3 out of 4 women do not wait in line at theme parks. Or 3 out of 4 women do not total up their waitressing tickets while some jerk comes out of the bathroom. And on and on and on.

In fact, 3 out of 4 women never leave their homes at all.

Oops, one stupidly opened the door because she thought it was the meter reader. Make that 2 out of 4.

It took me 35 years to tell exactly one person exactly what happened to me, (my therapist), and it was still extremely difficult. I have no intention of telling anyone else, it’s too hard.

Or go to school, or to high school, or to college, or have yucky relatives, or walk around, or work retail, or work as waitresses, or work as nurses, or work as doctors, or work as engineers, or work in a production line, or…

If women had to stop being in any and all situations that have ever been commonly tied to abuse, we’d just have to go POOF. Not be born. Which hey, would be easy-ish I guess, since any pregnant women would also have gone poof!

I did report one.

I didn’t report the escape half dressed from a dorm room or the gropey guy in the bar. I figured it was my fault, or I didn’t want to make a scene. I didn’t think about the probability that these guys were doing it to others, and would continue until the risk outweighed the reward.

The week-ago episode of John Oliver’s LAST ꞰⴺⴺW TONIGHT was on-topic. But while I was preparing this post the clip switched to “Unavailable due to Copyright.” :frowning: Is there a way to get the week-ago episode? Some episodes are available via the “legit” channel, but not all?

Anyway, one interviewed Republican woman implied that every single boy did a similar rape attempt in high school! Uh … I never did it in high school or at any other time. Many of the young men I knew were too timid to respond appropriately even if a young woman attempted to seduce them!

The episode also had a clip of DJT with the insight that Hurricane Florence was “Wet 'from the Standpoint of Water.”

Wait a few days, they’ll put it up. In the case of Last Week Tonight the wait time seems to be one week (the episode from two weeks ago is already up).

Only since artificial insemination! :smiley:

Sitting in school when I was 12 the teacher mentioned that one in four statistic and I looked at three of my friends and wondered who it would be. Then it slowly dawned on me that it was me - what was happening to me was what the teacher was talking about.

As the four of us grew up and talked, turns it it was all four of us.

Yeah, I’m not buying the one in four statistic, especially if you include groping and harassment.

A couple times, thought I’d get in trouble for being where I wasn’t supposed to be.
One time I told about, but a relative told me to hush because it would make another relative mad at the guilty relative. Ohhhh-kay.

From what I remember of the article it was rape. What really gets to me is two of those three women were raped by family members when they were young girls. I can’t imagine that, my dad and brothers were protective of me. The third woman was a victim of a rapist during the early 80’s in Portland OR. He was never caught.

I was three.

I was in my pre-teens and it was an older boy who always creeped me out and it was on the school bus and he grabbed me from behind so I couldn’t have proved it was him anyway.

I was in my pre-teens, and it was my three-years-older uncle, and out of self-preservation I convinced myself he hadn’t just whipped his dick out in front of me.

It was after the Sadie Hawkins dance, and I was fine with just a press of the lips but he forced his tongue in my mouth despite my clenched teeth and said “Nice” afterward. Fortunately, I had already knocked on the door and my mom answered it so I was able to escape. I never said anything because that was what was “supposed to” happen after a date and not liking it meant there was something wrong with me.

I was backstage at a theme park and I was shocked but it never occurred to me the thing my co-worker said to me was the kind of thing I could report.

I was backstage at the same theme park and a gay friend of mine grabbed my boobs.

I think it’s a statistic for reported rape, IIRC. Unreported rape is hard to statisticize.

It’s happening. [The #metoo movement and walkouts over sexual harassment at McDonalds.]