Will I Like Windows 7?

AVG antivirus program. I used it all the time on my XP boxes. I went Mac when Vista was released, but these days I also run both XP and Win7 in virtual machines. I have Avast Antivirus on Win7 and remained with AVG on XP.

Yes it is unfortunate. But you can still use the same function through the hot-key alt + up arrow. Though there are a couple folders that have odd behaviour from it. Like in Users\username alt+up goes any number of different places depending on where that explorer window was opened to. It doesn’t quite work like back and it doesn’t always go to the parent directory it just works somewhat oddly.

I had limited and thoroughly disagreeable contact with Vista. I jumped from XP to Win7 about 10months ago and I’m very happy.

I used add/remove programs to zap my bloatware and ended up with a few registry errors right off the bat. I wish I’d just done a clean install.

I went 64x and finding drivers can be a bear - that situation is always improving though.

I’m glad other folks miss the up directory arrow, I was feeling petty for being vexed about it.

Sorry I meant XP.

This. Some things are nicer and some things are typical MS “we must change it just because” attitude.

An example would be the file managing function. They now call it “library”. The pull-down menu for file viewing that allows the user to select “thumbnail” or “file detail” has been moved it to the far right of the screen and reconfigured. The “up” one level button is now just the go back one page button.

Libraries are a new concept in Windows 7, with no analogue in earlier versions. A library is a collection of folders that can be displayed as a single view.

Whatever properties it has it starts by renaming a file managing function… yet again. There is zero reason to call File Manager anything other than File Manager.

I don’t need the “headlights” in my car to be relabeled “Visual Enhancement”. It’s counterproductive to continually change naming conventions. Product ergonomics does not end at software. MS had established a visual layout that was picked up by thousands of other software developers and they then abandoned it with their Office 2007 suite. It’s not that improvements weren’t necessary or appreciated but there was no reason to eliminate it in order to make it more useful. I’ve been using the newer version of Office for some time and I still prefer the older version. It took up less space and could be upgraded with new features. What I ended up with were re-written functions with flaws in them.

damned if they do, damned if they don’t.

Windows Explorer has been called Windows Explorer since Windows 95. And it’s still called Windows Explorer. Libraries are an added feature, and don’t replace anything. You’re quite free never to use them, and still retain all of the functionality that’s always been there. I’m not understanding your anger.

I dealt with this by getting a Sony laptop and using their “fresh start” option, where no additional software is installed aside from the o/s and a few things I selected at the time of purchase, like MS Office.

I bumped the RAM upt to 8GB, mainly because of the 64 bit o/s and added a 256 GB SSD for an instant startup.

It seems some how… smarter. Even with XP, I found myself constantly fiddling with settings as I moved from my dock to being mobile, connecting to projectors and 2nd monitors. Win 7 seems to know what I’m connected to and adjusts to exactly what I need. I’m not sure how much of the experience has to do with it being Sony’s top of the line laptop (a VPCF1290X) but Win 7 definitely seems really nice.

Yeah, you’ll like it for reasons already mentioned by others.

I built my own computer last spring and went from using XP to a clean install of Win 7. I like it well enough and didn’t have any problems converting on over. The interface is nice and friendly. For what I do (mainly web browsing and a few games), I’m not sure if it’s “better” but it works fine and I couldn’t stay with XP forever.

Windows Vista and 7 have a new display driver architecture, and in my experience it’s a lot more robust and elegant when it comes to multiple displays. XP seemed like more of a crapshoot based on who provided the graphics adapter/drivers.

another thing is Win 7’s built in Bluetooth stack. much better than the vendor-provided crapware that XP had to rely on.

Same here but in June. I had an easier time switching from XP than I did going from Win98 to XP.

7 even had drivers for my eight year old scanner.

Do I want Windows 7 “home premium,” “professional,” or “ultimate”? What’s the difference?

in all likelihood, Home Premium will probably be what you want. Professional adds stuff like encryption features and the ability to join a domain, which most home users don’t need. Ultimate has every feature, but is expensive.

Official Microsoft comparison.

If you’re doing work on it, get Professional. It includes networking and data backup capability that Home does not, plus Windows XP Mode, which is actually a virtual machine that runs a copy of XP.

There’s almost no difference between Professional and Ultimate: Ultimate has more languages available, and includes data encryption. .

My anger is that it wasn’t listed when I clicked on All Programs I had to go hunting for it. Yes I understand that clicking on documents brings it up but I was looking for the actual file managing program called Explorer.

I like 7 better than XP but I shouldn’t have to go hunting for stuff like an email program which was another irritation.

I definitely use it for work- professional and school work. I’m studying graphic design and web development. I use Adobe CS, which sucks up space. The only personal things I do are email and web. No games, movies, or social networking.

hit the windows key and just start typing what you’re looking for. it should pop up in the start menu. that’s really one of the most powerful changes (IMO) in Windows Vista/7 and once you adapt to it it’s great.

They had a similar feature in Windows 98 if you added an address bar, but I’m glad they worked it out.

My problem with Windows 7 is that I can’t justify the price better computer I’d need to run it. I just now got up to 1 GB of memory. I think that, as long as you have the recommended requirements, you should at least give it a shot. (I really wish they still had the online trial for people like the OP, but I can’t find it.)