[QUOTE=DanBlather]
What wound you up? The fact that you are resorting to ad hominem arguments shows you don’t have much confidence in your beliefs. Your attacks are also baseless, I have no hope that the US is destroyed.
[/QUOTE]
Well, I’m certainly relieved to hear you don’t wish the US destroyed.
My comment was aimed more at Der than you, but the comment that the entire world would attack the US was just too absurd to let it go comment free.
[QUOTE=DanBlather]
I am concerned, however, about the increasing proclivity for the US to go its own way. Our popularity in Great Britain and western europe is on the wane because of Iraq and the Kyoto accords. Relations with Mexico are threatened because of immigration, the embargo on Cuba has never been popular in South America and Chavez is stirring up trouble in Venezuela. The US is virtually alone in supporting Israel.
[/QUOTE]
If I hadn’t heard that cry of ‘wolf!’ for decades it would carry more weight. I remember in the 70’s when in college people talking about the US ‘going our own way’ and the distressing lack of popularity of the US in Europe…blah blah blah. As for our relationship in Central and South America…I don’t see that its EVERY been what one would call high, nor do I think that its decreasing. Its always been rocky, with periods where it dips and then recovers (such as it ever is recovered).
Regardless of Kyoto, America’s popularity or lack their of in Europe or our own hemisphere, etc, I don’t see any indications that The World™ would or COULD attack the US in any kind of concerted way. The Euro’s are too timid to ever contemplate such a thing (and for global warming? :dubious: ), Central and South America don’t have the means (even if they all had the desire)…which leaves the more likely threats of the Middle East and China. Now, had you said THAT I’d say its plausable…though still unlikely that any of them would confront the US directly in a military way.
[QUOTE=DanBlather]
In the long term China and India will be competing with the US for access to oil and other raw materials. As their domestic market grows they will be less dependent on exporting to the US.
[/QUOTE]
No doubt about it…at least with respect to competing with us for access to oil. I doubt that the huge market that is the US is going to dry up, or that magically the Euro’s are going to take up the slack and start importing like mad (unless you have some other market in mind for China and India to sell their goods that will replace the US?). I’m not sure where you are going with this part of your argument, but how will this cause The World™ to rally around China/India (or China and India to rally around each other) to go to war with the US?
I’d think just the opposite will occur…as China and India (especially China) continue to grow, they will become more of a threat to the Euro’s, both in the market place and in competing for their own oil needs…and they will ALSO far surpass the US as a CO2 pollutant. As I said, the Chinese are ALREADY poised to surpass the US on that score, and they aren’t slowing down. I’m not sure where India is, but I recall that they are building coal plants like mad, so I’m sure they aren’t far behind. While the US (slowly, lurchingly) actually is reducing its carbon foot print (relatively), China and India are increasing their’s dramatically…so if this is an issue worth going to war over, then I’d think that one or both of THOSE countries will come under fire as well.
[QUOTE=DanBlather]
You say that the US maintains no bases where they are not wanted, but there is a difference between what the govt wants and what the people want. The US has interfered before in internal affairs of countries to install or support friendly leaders that do not reflect the views of their people. I am not sure that our allies will support us doing that in the future.
[/QUOTE]
Well…actually I didn’t say that. I’ll answer however. It depends on your definition of ‘not wanted’. Not wanted by who exactly? The GOVERNMENTS of the host countries…or some non-zero percentage of the population of those host countries? US forces were certainly NOT wanted in Europe during the cold war by a very LARGE percentage of the host countries then were stationed in, many times…yet the host countries (many of who were democracies) STILL wanted the US to be there.
Aside from Iraq and Afghanistan (two countries we invaded and are occupying…not exactly the same thing as stationing troops there) however, which countries did you have in mind where the US stations forces and are not welcome…at least by the host governments? And which countries do you feel the US stations forces in where our allies would rather we didn’t…to the point that they would contemplate war with us over the issue? Or even simply severing our alliances and history together over the issue?
[QUOTE=DanBlather]
Do I see a “US vs the world” conflict happening soon? no, but if we do not change how we deal with the rest of the world it may be inevitable.
[/QUOTE]
Do I see a ‘US vs the world’ conflict as completely impossible? No, but I would be hard pressed to come up with a scenario where it could plausibly happen with anything more remote than a probability of something like a dinosaur killer hitting the earth next year.
Feel free to talk out what you think is a plausible scenario if you can think of one that would pit the US and the rest of the world in an actual military confrontation…maybe you can come up with something. I certainly can’t.
[QUOTE=DanBlather]
China and India have 4 and 3 times population of the US respectively, so some may feel that they have a ways to go before they must cut their per-capita CO2 emissions.
[/QUOTE]
I don’t think the earth cares. Also, their emissions are growing much more rapidly than our own (or anyone else’s). Why do you think it would matter at any rate wrt a war?
[QUOTE=DanBlather]
I am a bit confused by the posters who complain that the US is perceived as “the source of all evil in the world” (which I don’t believe by the way) and then in the next breath say that there is no way that the world will gang up on the US. Pick a viewpoint and stick with it.
[/QUOTE]
Well, its one thing to be CALLED or thought of as the source of all evil, especially by a bunch of left wing loonies (I’m not putting you in that category btw)…quite another for the entire world to go to war with the US. If you can’t see the difference I’m not sure I can help you to be honest.
-XT