Windows "rot"

So why isn’t that a problem for Linux systems?

I’ve used Norton for years. It was great in DOS. Something happened and they became a resource hog with other problems also. (Locking up my computer among other things.) When they started to charge for virus updates (Last look was $30.00 yearly) I said the hell with them and went to AVG. I still use Norton from the disc but keep it off my hard drive. AVG is great!

That something was Symantec acquiring Peter Norton Computing in 1990; they have capitalised on the Norton name and reputation, but the software today owes almost nothing to the original Norton utilities and antivirus, indeed the contemporary Symantec software simply doesn’t deserve the popularity it enjoys.

It seems to me there is a solution to all this Windows rot nonsense. How about MS (or a third party) provide the capability to have a restore point that can be made permanent. What I would want to do is create a restore point after initial installation, then return to that point just prior to each software installation that I am sure I want to be permanent. After the software install I would then create a new permanent restore point. If you were disciplined, the Windows install would last much much longer before it bogged down.

You could do that yourself byt making a disk image, test-installing a new bit of software, then when you’re sure you want to keep it, restoring back to the image, installing the app and immediately creating a new image. This would be more cumbersome than your solution, but even with that, there are so many things going on from day to day on a typical PC - not just user-installed stuff, but driver updates, security patches, automatic updates for browsers, email clients, antivirus, java runtime environments, etc - it’s just not a linear enough path of change to be able to pick a permanent restore point.

I suggest Kasperky Internet Security 6.0 a complete suite. Viruses are not the risk they used to be but Spyware is far more dangerous now, And you can get Spyware from a pop-up ad, and from fairly repuatable sources, such as Snopes (Snopes didn;t have the Spyware but they pretty much take $$ from anyone to run pop-ups and such and this has been a probelm).

I find the Norton Removal Tool (Google it) works like a charm.

I also second Kaspersky as a fine product. Small footprint. I am an authorized reseller going on three years. I sell nothing else. AVG and AntiVir are pretty good for free solutions.