Wisconsin Sikh Temple Shooting [and gun control]

Given that gun owners are people it’s odd that you would say that the NRA doesn’t care about them.

1. Does that include licensed gun dealers at gun shows or do you mean private sales? Are you banning all private sales or just sales at gun shows?

2. Can you name any other right in the United States where you are required to submit to a psych evaluation before you exercise it? Who pays for the psych evaluations? What conditions must be met before someone is denied their right to own a firearm?

3. That seems to be a far lower bar for negligence than is typical in the U.S. legal system. However, I’m not a lawyer. Maybe someone else can chime in.

So you’re talking about something that is politically unrealistic, and even if an attempt were made, physically as likely as eliminating or destroying all (or almost all) drugs.

Why do you assume gun laws will make guns less available? Drug laws haven’t made drugs less available.

You need to explain why gun deaths in Switzerland are so low, when the state issues military quality rifles to every able-bodied young man as part of their militia service, and allows them to keep the weapons after their term is up.

Let’s save the personal commentary for the Pit, please.

Big story (and bold headline on Drudge) says that the shooter is an ARMY VET!

I’m sure this is supposed to make us picture a disturbed Iraq/Afghanistan vet who had too much and his PTSD just coun’t take it…
But…
Read the story and you’ll see that he was discharged under other than honorable conditions…in 1998. Before 9-11.

In this case, the fact that he was in the military at all doesn’t county for anything. Fucking stupid news.

And isn’t it interesting that, as a result, regulation and security was beefed up to the point where I can’t even bring a pair of nail clippers on a plane now. And what kind of regulation/security measures do we institute as a result of the last in an endless line of mass shootings? Nothing, that would be unpatriotic.

But gun laws have in many nations. Drugs and guns are not analogous.

No doubt because they are trained how to use them and to respect them as the dangerous things they are, instead of looking at them as toys or as magic wands that only kill evil people the way American gun owners tend to.

Perhaps because they don’t allow them to keep the ammunition for the weapons?

The guy was apparently a Neo-Nazi. This is supposedly a picture of him in the band.

Really? I didn’t know that.

Requoting the whole thing, because it bears repeating. Thank you.

After a bit of googling, I suspect that the “14” on his arm refers to “The 14 words”.

DT, I’m not seeing anything about him being a Neo-Nazi in the article you linked to.

Ever tried hiding a Glock in your rectum?

Um, I quoted it?

They let you keep the weapon so you, citizen-soldier, can be instantly ready should Zee Germans be coming. Until then, the weapon is under lock and key in your basement and you’ll get pinched if you try and use it for recreation (nevermind murderin’). And, yes, as previously noted the Swiss gvt recently ruled (2007) that while the guns would still be issued to veterans who opted to keep their weapons, the ammo was to only be distributed if and when Zee Germans came. Which defeats the purpose if you ask me, but hey.

If you want to own a civilian gun, you can - you need a permit for that though, which comes with both psych and skill tests.

Mostly, however, I would vouch the reason gun deaths in Switzerland are so low because taking the time to kill someone might make one late.

Hmmm…it sounds like…a well regulated militia.

And gun laws have not in many nations (like Mexico). In those nations which already have lots and lots of guns in them, the gun laws are not particularly effective. I see no reason to believe that restrictive gun laws in the US would make it particularly difficult to obtain guns.

Because they are across the border from us.

I agree that the fact that he’s a veteran can give a misleading impression, but people want to know who this guy is and this is one of the major facts. And no, you can’t necessarily say it counts for nothing based on the fact that he left the military quite a while ago. The profile here reminds me of Timothy McVeigh, although he was a much more recent veteran at the time of the Oklahoma City bombing.

I disagree that it’s a major fact; the fact that he is one of millions of people who joined the Army during a time of peace to do an administrative job is about as relevant as what instrument he played in high school marching band.

Edit: Now, if he was discharged because of his acting on some kind of ethnic intolerance, it would be very pertinent.