Witch hunts on the SDMB

Sounds fun to me.

And comparing this to stalking and harrassment … puhleese. That’s a friggin’ joke. Anyone who would feel threatened by someone calling out bullshit on the internet has bigger problems.

In that case I think that a lot of people should try to get a life.

I’m afraid people like me are going to start over-explaining to head off future accusations. Such as:

My roommate and I went shopping. (Note: this is my male roommate. Not to be confused with my female roommate, who is also a doper, who I also refer to as my best friend. Also not to be confused with my OTHER male roomate, the one with the large dog that gets on my nerve. This is the one with the long distance girlfriend, not the one who likes shopping but the one who can be bribed with cinnabuns to carry bags. Also, I didn’t always have this many roommates, so when I previously refered to having two roommates, then one, then two again and now three. . .

and on and on until I kill the hampsters.

(bolding mine)

You’re claiming you’ve only got one nerve? So what happens if I now go off and look up all your other posts, trawl through them, and find reference to nerves plural, and EXPOSE you as a neurological liar? (Apart from me looking like a complete asshat, obviously).

What?!?

Plagiarism - One of his most famous posts, ‘Wally tries cybersex’ (or something like that) was copied word for word from some humor site, with the names changed. He also lifted some Rodney Dangerfield lines without attributing them, but I don’t think that’s nearly as serious as they were obviously Dangerfield material.

Faked Death - several people tried to find some kind of news article about the freak accident that he died in, as it was definitely the kind of thing that would make the local newspapers. They found nothing. Someone also noticed that his username had logged on to the board without posting long after the date he supposedly died. Finally, the person who reported his death to us, his daughter Amy, REALLY seemed like a pseudo-sock (not a real sock as ‘she’ used his handle to post) when she made posts talking about how attractive a SDMB board member that Wally was romantically involved with was.

Was the “faked death” part ever proved? I know there was zero evidence for the death, but… :confused:

No evidence that it was faked (aside from SOMEONE lurking with his handle afterwards), but no evidence at all that it really happened. This, combined with the freakish way he died and the timing of it all (soon after he stated he was having problems with his wife due to an online affair with a SDMB poster), makes it highly suspicious.

Yeah, but what would really be terrible if we found that QtM is faking his vast Lord of the Rings knowledge

The problem with saying, “Boy, those witch hunts, they really suck” is that most people on the board are going to be right there with you… until somebody pushes their button, and they snap like a twig, and it’s “Hey, I’ve got a pitchfork, and some rope, and a torch! Let’s go!”

The stuff that people are getting incensed about today is the same stuff they were getting incensed about five or six years ago (well, that and Bush’s first election, but that was a special case…), and some of the people that were considered reasonably sane back then are frothing at the mouth now, and vice verse. So, five years from now, I can’t help but think there are going to be some people frothing at the mouth who, today, are the Voice of Reason et al.

When in doubt, remember Rule #1.

“You do not talk about Fight Club”?

Zero Gravitas, what point exactly is it that you are trying to make? You’ve already had an ill-advised swipe at Ilsa_ Lund, which petty offender do you have your eye on next? You really seem to believe that there is a moral high ground to be taken here, which leads me to think that you would be better suited to a message board catering to adolescents. You’d feel much more at home.

Ok, thank you Zero Gravitas, for your oh-so enlightening post. It’s great to see a n00bie with such a clear grasp of board history. I’m glad someone mentioned one of the more contentious/upsetting moments on the boards, so we could all benefit from its being dragged into the light of day again. You must be very proud to perform such a great service.

Gee, it’s also “highly suspicious” that a self-proclaimed long-time lurker and guest poster would get so wrapped up in this nonsense to keep trying to stir up the shit in every thread possible, denying existence of the other forums until “just recently” while picking on the same bits of gristle they’ve been scavenging over for months, and posting over and over again that you’re not a “sock puppet” while still being a “Guest” poster who still hasn’t forked over the < 10 bucks to be a member of the board.

You know, I like the fact that there’s something of a community here and I can get emotionally involved in it. It’s certainly not my primary social outlet, and I recognize that the SDMB doesn’t, and shouldn’t, have the import of real life. But I enjoy the fact that there are people here to care about.

I once gave money to someone who was hard up for cash, and couldn’t afford food. I’d be pretty pissed if it turned out to be a lie, as I wasn’t exactly wealthy at the time. But at the same time, I’m glad that we can band together to do good for one another. I don’t like the idea that we should be wary of each other all the time and expect that everyone is lying about major aspects of their life.

Because of this, I’ve redoubled my efforts, and I’m making great progress in my goal to get Liberal exposed as who “he” really is: Her Royal Highness, Queen Elizabeth II. He calls other folks “statists”, and he’ll look pretty dumb once I’ve shown he’s the head of state of the United Kingdom.

Just kidding, Lib. You know I love you.

A curiously well-informed recent guest by the name of Zero Gravitas picked up the Ilsa Lund stuff in the current “Should Lying Be A Bannable Offence?” thread in this forum: he is currently being barbecued {ZG, not Ilsa, who is being stoutly defended}.

I don’t see how it’s any more unlikely that I’d take an interest than anyone else. I’ve lurked here for around two years, I’m guessing. I did post here a long time ago (starting in 2000), but I stopped coming for a while, and when I reconsidered posting again, I could not log on and the email address associated with the username was no longer valid since it was an old work address.

Gah! Memo to self: read whole bloody thread before posting.

You wouldn’t happen to remember your previous posting name, would you, ZG?

And the sun was in my eyes, on account of my athsma.

The subtlety that you keep failing to grasp is that nobody really gives a rat’s ass about your posting history, because you have yet to say anything on these boards that’s of any merit. And you wouldn’t feel the need to explain your posting history if you weren’t coming on here just talking shit about other posters, parroting crap you read on another board. If the stuff on that board is important to you, stay the fuck on that board and leave it there.

And the whole nonsense wouldn’t be such High Drama if people didn’t keep starting threads about it.

And the threads wouldn’t keep bouncing to the top if I didn’t keep replying to them.

So there.