Witty people have a dark sense of humor?

Does that mean they don’t tell light bulb jokes?

Watt? :confused:

Sometimes all you can do is laugh or cry. Laughing just happens to make you seem a little bit less crazy then crying. :slight_smile: It’s nice to know I’m not the only twisted bastard here.

Absolutely.

Well, I tend to test quite high on IQ test, and I do have a pretty twisted sense of humor, that has gotten me pitted here once.

Dark Humour fellow here too… but I thought I had picked up that habit in England… :slight_smile:

In fact I do know some very intelligent people who arent into dark humor… but are into other forms of humor. So I would say that humorless translates to non-intelligent for sure…

To me, a dark sense of humour is a self-protection mechanism. Instead of having anguish overloading the emotional centres, the brain reconstructs these sensations to funny ones. Even when the anguish may get through subsequently, now you have a buffer to brace yourself.

Not just these days.

Way back in the 1920’s, Dorothy Parker, a mordant wit if there ever was one, said, “If all the sorority girls in the country were laid end to end - I wouldn’t be a bit surprised.”

Mark Twain often leaned on sarcasm and irony. In The Innocents Abroad he wrote of an escapade on the French Riviera. The ship was not allowed to dock in either Nice or Cannes because of a quarantine so some of the passengers sneaked ashore. Twain wrote that after dressing themselves in their best and “… donning the Grand Cordon of the Legion of Honor so as to render ourselves inconspiculous, we went ashore.”

And Shakespere was often sarcasitc. In Henry IV, when the Welsh leader, whose name escapes me (Glendowen, Glendower?) says, “I can summon spirits from the vasty deep.” Hotspur responds, “Why, so can I, or so can any man, but do they come when you call them?”

Right. Because there is no light in dark humor.
Perfect time for a dead baby joke, but the non-intelligent may get offended. :stuck_out_tongue:

There was something in one of my psychology texts which applys (I’d grab it for a cite, but it’s at home, and I’m at work…). They did a study of the observational skills of people with major depression, and your average, healthy person. The people with depression were slightly more observant, but far more ACCURATE in their observations.

I found this amusing. It’s as proof that the people who sit around mumbling “the world is a piece of poo,” do so because they are the ones who truely see the world for what it is, and judge it accordingly.

In my life, I’ve noticed that the witty people and the depressed people oftentimes are one and the same. Just a thought.

“For life’s a piece of shit/when you look at it.” – Monty Python, Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life

I consider myself pretty intelligent (although I do not show it on these boards), and I’m a fan of “Murder Most Horrid,” “The Kids in the Hall,” and Edward Gorey. Like LifeOnWry, however, I also enjoy other types of humor–wordplay and obscure jokes particularly, but pretty much anything but bathroom humor (and I can appreciate that if it is done well).

Sorry, but I just don’t buy that. The World is nothing if it isn’t ‘choices.’ As I understand, depressed people don’t see it that way — whether the depression is temporary (“I’ll never find another like him/her) or permanent. Whether its bad thinking habits or bad genes – it’s my understanding that depressed people see themselves with limited choices – with those who commit suicide seeing only one.

I’ve been told that I’m intelligent. I’ve also been told I have a dark sense of humor.

Do whatever you will with this information.

I’m of above average intelligence (for my age group, anyway). Got yelled at recently for suggesting the following quote* for my senior quote in the yearbook:

Most of the people I suggested it to (including two of my teachers) rebuked me for “telling poor little old ladies that they’re going to die.”:eek:
Snicker.
*courtesy of Bash.Org

I’m of above average intelligence (for my age group, anyway). Got yelled at recently for suggesting the following quote* for my senior quote in the yearbook:

Most of the people I suggested it to (including two of my teachers) rebuked me for “telling poor little old ladies that they’re going to die.”:eek:
Snicker.
*courtesy of Bash.Org

Whoops. Could a mod please delete the double post?:smack:

I’m so intelligent, I’m above this ancient debate. :slight_smile:

I think there’s a difference between dark humor and humor that’s gross just for the sake of being gross, although I do love a good dead-baby joke now and then. Not that I think they’re all that funny on their own. The real pleasure of a dead-baby or similarly disgusting joke (Sandpaper Sally, anyone?) is the reaction of the poor, unsuspecting soul on the receiving end. I’ve gotten some great reactions out of the worst dead-baby joke known to man (I think); I even reduced someone to tears once. She was laughing at the same time, though, which was odd.

Do you have a link? If not, tell us the joke (or statement) that got you pitted, if you don’t mind.

Ditto the (at least appearing) higher than average intelligence/twisted humor thing. And most of my friends seem to follow the pattern. One or two people I know are true sick bastards, and scare me from time to time.

Example: (and I like a good dead baby joke from time to time, don’t get me wrong) One of my friends, when visiting a couple who had just given birth to a son, decided it would be great to tell them a dead baby joke with a punchline that was their son’s name (Russell, in case anyone’s curious).

They were horrified, and rightly so in my opinion.

But anyway.

I consider myself fairly intelligent. . . wait. I’ve been told I’m pretty smart. . . um, never mind. . .

I think it may be that one has to be fairly bright to “get” the somewhat convulted understanding of why a horribly bleak joke is funny. Nobody is really going to laugh about an old lady getting run over by a truck. However, if you remove yourself one step from the situation you can laugh at the cruel absurdity of the whole thing.

I think it’s the sense of the absurd that really makes an “intelligent” person laugh. Goes hand in hand with my theory that it takes an intelligent person to laugh at something truly stupid, ie. Conan O’Brien, Sam Henderson’s “The Magic Whistle” comic, or the movie TROLL 2.

How many Vietnam vets does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
You don’t know! You weren’t there!