Wizard Of Oz

Oh sure,young girl moves to town and murders the first person she comes across.She meets others of her ilk and they hunt down the rest of the family…nice movie for kids

That reminds me of when my oldest son was little. he was the type of kid who waited until he could say something right before he said it. So I found it extremely cute when he said (with what would have been perfect diction) “Let’s watch the Wizard D’Avoz.”

Incidentally, I had warned him about the Flying Monkeys, who terrified me as a child, because I didn’t want him to miss out on the “That’s you all over” joke, as I had. So I prepared him so he wouldn’t be afraid, advised him to remember it was just special effects, explained how it was done, all so he could get the joke. He didn’t have any problem with the flying monkeys, and when the joke came around, he turned to me and said, “That wasn’t all too funny.” I had to admit that he was right.

What happens when you lick it?

To be fair, it seems unlikely that a toddler would have ever heard the idiomatic expression “That’s x all over,” in any other context, right? So the Tin Man might as well have said “Bits of you are strewn about,” as far as most kids that age are concerned.

Mickey Rooney scowls.

Not surprisingly, The Marvelous Land of Oz was my favorite book as a child.

Actually, TWoO was “colorized” in IIRC the 80s. The b/w sequences were originally sepia-toned but after decades of reproductions the sepia was lost. Not sure if Ted Turner had anything to do with it but the sepia tone was restored.

You get a call from the Betty Ford Clinic.

A very cool bit of trivia about the film: the coat worn by Frank Morgan (playing Professor Marvel) was purchased at a second-hand store. The actor found a label in the pocket with the name “L. Frank Baum.”!!

Cite

I read, somewhere, that L Frank was trying to make a kids’ story that wasn’t too scary for them, unlike the traditional fairy tales, which in their originals were somewhat grotesque. So it was to be a nice gentle story about a little girl going home and the friends that helped her. What it ends up being is even more scary – every child’s fear: abandonment. Dorothy is all alone in a strange place, which although it’s beautiful, is unnatural. She can’t find her caregivers, and someone is trying to hurt her. Remember that in the book, Dorothy is supposed to be maybe 5 or 6 years old, definitely younger than the teenager Judy Garland portrayed. And there are few things scarier for a young child than the movie scene where the wicked witch replaces Auntie Em in the crystal ball.

No, this is a joke:

When I told my sister in 1981 that someone had developed technology to colorize B&W films, her first response was,

“That’s great! Now we can see all of The Wizard of Oz in color!”

My sister’s one funny kid.

Lion?!? Hell, she stands up to the friggin’ (phony) Wizard with all his fire and smoke and thunder. That’s some scary shit, and she just smacks him down!

Can you have him sign these letters of transit?

As for the Wizard of Oz, I have always hated Glenda the Good Witch.
She neatly manipulates for Dorothy to eliminate her political rivals and then sends her back to Kansas.

You must see Wicked. It explains why Galinda (“The Ga- is silent!”) acted as she did to remove both the Wizard and Dorothy from Oz. And, oh, those poor flying monkeys!

Homebrew, David Garrison played the Wizard in LA as well. What a great show!

The sepia tones of the Kansas scenes were never registered on the camera negative, hence they were never there to be “lost”. They were created only in the print-making process. Eastman Kodak manufactured a line of color-toned print stock in the 1930s; sepia (actually, “dark amber”, or as I call it, “beer bottle”) was one of the color tones available. Tarzan Finds a Son!, released by MGM the same year, was printed on green-toned stock.

Chronology of Kodak motion picture films.

The Sean Connery version, natch, is a classic.

Yeah, she really pisses me off, too (movie version only).

“Why didn’t you tell me I could have gone home any time I wanted?”

“You wouldn’t have believed me.”

“Oh yeah? Try me, witch!”

I think it’s amazing that a movie that’s over sixty years old is still so popular. That’s one impressive feat!

When I was a child my siblings and I watched the Wizard of Oz once a year, whenever it was that it was shown on TV. Our television was black and white, so we missed out on all the lush technicolor, but it was always an awesome movie. I remember how terrified I was of the flying monkeys, and was very proud of myself the first year that I was able to watch those scenes without terror. I had truly grown up.

MLS, the way I remember it, Baum was very vague about the ages of Dorothy, Tip, and any other child characters.

I think they were about to lose their farm and Dorothy would be taken into foster care. They encouraged her to go to Oz to live, and she did, then Ozma readily agreed to bring Uncle Henry and Auntie Em to Oz.

I suppose it’s silly to bring up another key difference btween the book and the movie, but I will. :slight_smile:

In the book, when Dorothy’s house lands and kills the Wicked witch of the East, the first people Dorothy sees are a male munchkin and a woman who looks a lot like a munchkin, but is all in white. She’s Enora, the Good witch of the North. Enora gives Dorothy a little orientation, tells her to put on the silver slippers, and gives Dorothy a kiss on her forehead. It leaves a permenant markm indicating that Dorothy is under Enora’s protection somehow. When the Wicked Witch of the West captures Dorothy, she doesn’t kill her because the Witch sees Enroa’s mark, and is afraid of the consequences of harming Dororthy.

I’ve read fourteen books into the series, and Enora never shows up again. They never even mention her. Everytime they want help, they go bother Glinda, who lives in the South.

You forget to mention that she rips off her shoes like a gangbanger in Compton. :eek:

Count me in as another who considers Glinda–the self-proclaimed “Good Witch of the North”–as a master manipulator and Dorothy as a 25 watt bulb running on half-power. The flying monkeys never really bother me as a kid, and now they’re a great avatar for [post=6767976]last-minute solutions to impossible farking problems[/post] at work.

Still, it is a very memorably movie, even if a more intellectual assessment of it reveals a dark agenda.

Stranger