Woman calls police. They brutalize and arrest her.

I’m not defending the cops, you dumb fucking cow. I was defending Dewey against accusations that he was on the cops’ side. He wasn’t. I pointed that out.

Could you be any worse at reading comprehension?

Yes, you can certainly argue whether tazer equals gun and when either should or should not be used. But currently, tazing is generally considered an option that ranks more with strong arming and pepper spray than with shooting people (though this obviously varies by region/department).

But when she ran and resisted it was time for physical force. And she caused it.

And of course, a good video could still make the difference as there is resisting and there is resisting if you know what I mean.

Don’t RESIST people. Its not that complicated.

Although the first cop’s car might not have been in a good position for the dash cam, what about the microphone? Couldn’t we at least get an audio recording of what went down with the first cop before the second cop arrived? That might give us a clearer picture of what happened.

Don’t bother – this is his “I’m fucking useless to the discussion” topic.

Wow, I even put a disclaimer at the bottom of that post.

Yeah. I agree with you.

In fact, I can mostly sympathize with Ryan Smith. He was a young cop (22), responding to assist an older cop (52), the older cop was apparently injured when he got there, & he tried to get things under control. I think he screwed up by using excessive force, but he was following the misleading presentation of the situation by his colleague. Worth a reprimand, but I don’t know that his career should end.

But it’s still horrifying what he did. Tim Murphy completely hosed the situation & then Smith failed to stop it, instead contributing to it. (Though arguably Smith managed to get things under control in his way, & maybe things would have gone worse if he hadn’t responded. I don’t have enough information on Murphy to say; he may have been confused & angry after he bumped his knee, or he may have been a confused, angry, racist pig.)

Understandable, but horrible.

Citing this link that Projammer provided in post #22 again, & thanks:
http://www.ajc.com/news/2-officers-out-of-568967.html

FYI, I linked to that same article in post number 5. And as the article said, Officer Smith got a job with the Chattahoochee County Sheriff’s office, so clearly his career isn’t over. (I’d think that the sheriff in Chattahoochee County would want to wait for the investigation to be complete before hiring that officer.

I’m a cop, and I’m telling you to suck my dick.

On your knees, bitch.

But then you’re giving cops a huge amount of power that I don’t think a lot of them warrant. Many of them do abuse power. If you’re saying that being a cop means people have to submit, then they can pretty much tell you to do anything you want, which I find kind of scary.

This is wrong and bullshit. Cops are not allowed to use any force they choose to get you to answer a question. Tazers are defensive weapons like guns. They can not be legally used to make someone answer a question or get into a car. I would think the fact that one cop was fired, one resigned and the higher ups agreed it was wrong would make this obvious to you.

In retrospect there probably was more to the story re the “friend” and the prowler/unwanted guest reason for the call, but it is interesting on one level as to what extent you can tell the police to “MYOB” if they suspect a domestic abuse scenario. It would be interesting to get the audio of the original 911 call to see what she is telling the 911 operator.

There has to be more to this. Based on the police car video she should be suing the crap out of them, and the tasering policeman should be up on charges, but that doesn’t seem to be happening.

Are you suggesting that there is also an upside? :dubious:

The cop wasn’t using it to get answers. He was using it to get her to stop resisting arrest so that she could be taken back and put in jail.

You don’t get credit for doing “the right thing”. That is their fucking job! If they could have found a way to spin this, they would have.

And the only reason he arrested her was because she refused to answer a question. Therefore, the only reason she was tased was because she didn’t answer the question.

And notice that these guys were FIRED. That means—THEY WERE WRONG! So shut the fuck up, you Taser apologists. You people who think it’s morally correct to obey all sources of authority–well, you’re essentially Nazis, so I have no problem wishing that you would get tasered repeatedly. Since apparently overloading your body with pain so severe that you pass out is not torture, and LESS that police brutality, I can, by the rules of this board, wish it upon you.

Technically true. And if I use a salt lick to lure a cow to be brought in for slaughter, then technically one could say that a salt lick is a murderous device.

She did get tased because she refused to answer questions. But that’s not actually relevant.

Presuming that the cop was right that she was legally mandated to give the information he was asking for, on penalty of jail time, then he was perfectly in his right to arrest her and take her back whereupon either fines or jail time would have been used to coerce the information from her. These are considered to be legal and acceptable methods of coercion if undertaken by the court. One may not use a taser as a method of inducing a person to give up information, but there’s no indication that this was the case.

That’s not an argument in favor of nor against the use of tasers for any purpose what-so-ever, that’s just stating the facts of the situation. The cop was presumably justified in arresting her, and presumably at some point there would have been a method of coercion used to get her to give information. But the taser was, so far as we can tell, used as a method of subduing her so that she could be brought in, whereupon legal methods of coercion would have been used to compel her to talk. It was not literally used as a torture device to compel her to speak.

And again, this doesn’t mean that his use to subdue her was acceptable nor legal. It’s entirely possible, and even likely, that he used unnecessary force and deserves to have been fired or to be thrown in jail. But, the point remains that the force he utilized was in subduing her, not in coercing information from her. That’s just factually inaccurate, except through a tortured train of logic.

Funny.

You first.

But you know what I really meant. And if you don’t your a fucktard.

Not all crimes are the same though and tasering a suspect in a petty shoplifting arrest is less justifiable than in a suspected armed robbery arrest.

I wouldn’t agree with that at all, personally. A single officer trying to subdue someone who is fighting for long enough to get handcuffs on and get them in the back of the police cruiser, has the option of wrestling with the person, tasing them, or simply letting them get away with the crime. Of those three, imperfect, options the best one is to tase the person. If you let them get away rather than fight with them, then the police lose their power to enforce anything. If you do fight them, there’s good odds that both the suspect and the police man will be physically damaged. Tasing hurts like hell and is a very bad thing to do to someone, but so is punching them, breaking their arm, accidentally jabbing a finger through their eye, or anything else that can happen in an all-out bought of wrestling. The idea that policemen are martial arts experts who can simply evade all hits, grab a person in a magical martial arts way, and move them into the desired position regardless of all struggling is simply not reality. In most cases where a larger person subdues a smaller person, it’s because the smaller person recognizes that they’re going to lose and simply gives in. If the two were to actually go and see the fight through, the bigger, better trained person will almost certainly win, but there’s still a good chance of broken bones, lost digits, hair having been torn out, shrapnel jutting out of their body, etc.

A taser isn’t an ideal solution. But, it is still the better solution of everything in a polceman’s arsenal for a resisting suspect for both of their sake.

Again, this doesn’t mean that a police officer can’t proceed to use a taser as a torture device or as a way to effectively beat a person up without leaving a mark. Misuse is by all means a bad thing. The police related to the incidence in question may well have been guilty of abusing this woman. But, to say that a person doesn’t deserve to be tased if they performed a minor crime is silly. The only other options – presuming the person resists arrest – are again to beat them or to let them go. Neither of those is a better option.

I suppose you agree with police officers breaking numerous motoring laws and endangering the general public in order to catch a car thief, too?