Women on birth control who don't get periods- how do you know you're not pregnant?

For what it’s worth, I went on Depo for about 3 years to suppress hormone changes because they made me have seizures. It worked really well, though Depo did decrease my enjoyment of sex slightly and I gained a bit of extra weight. Still, I never worried about getting pregnant because I followed the instructions for taking Depo to the letter - you know, waiting a week before having sex when I went on it initially, then making sure I got the shot within the window to ensure the drug remained effective at all times.

It was definitely worth it - I’d take a few extra pounds over having a seizure any day. Anyway, I went off the Depo because my husband and I wanted children and the seizures didn’t come back, though I was more at risk for and did have a seizure when I developed eclampsia during delivery of my first (and possibly only) child. If you’re comfortable with the four-times-a-year period, I’d say definitely try it.

I really don’t worry about it. AsMixieArmadillo said, the failure rate is extremely low, and even when I’ve accidentally been late on a couple of shots, I haven’t been too freaked: it can take years to recover normal fertility when you’ve been on Depo for long periods of time.

The Pill made me miserable. I tried two different brands with the same results. I was constantly nauseated and I cried at the drop of a hat. Depo has never given me any side effects, except for soreness at the site of the shot for a day or two afterwards.

I used to have hideously painful periods. I’m talking rolling-on-the-floor-, fainting, -puking,-crying,-hoping-I-die-soon agony. For a long time, my gyno thought I had endometriosis because I have a family history of it. The diagnosis can’t be absolutely confirmed without a laproscopy. When I had one done, she found no cysts. In a way, it was dissapointing because having a cause means having a way to combat a problem.

She put me on Depo and it changed my life. I’m a walking commercial for that stuff, and tell every woman I know about it when the subject of birth control or menstruation comes up. Since I no longer have periods, I don’t have to count on one or two days a month when I will be completely out of commission from the pain. Like Queen Tonya, I can wear my “pretty panties” every day now. (I triumphantly threw out my “period panties” after it became apparent that bitch, Aunt Flow, was not coming back. Rejoice and be exceedingly glad!)

I also like not having the inconvenience and mess of menstruation, nor do I miss that subtle, lurking fear that I might have leaked, or have to worry that I might get my period somewhere when I don’t have quick access to feminine products. I don’t have to feel nervous about disposal of those products in someone else’s home (something about which I always felt awkward for unknown reasons.)

Yeah…this is why my backup birth control method (after Pill and condom) is abstinence (as far as I can manage it)…these stories make me even MORE paranoid. It’s easier for me to just be Lonely Dog Lady than Lonely, Possibly Pregnant Dog Lady.

My paranoia is a bit extreme but I’d much rather lose a limb right now than gain a baby. ack.

I use the *Mirena *IUD which causes most women to stop having periods (compared to traditional IUDs which intensify periods). Because it’s more effective than the birth control pill and all other IUDs, I only have to check once a month that it’s there, and I’m practically guaranteed not to become pregnant. Also, because I’m single, I use condoms in addition to it.

Sorry for the hijack, but I just have to know: do you leave the ring in for 28 days then immediately replace it with a new ring? I just started on the ring and I leave it in for 21 days and out for 7. During those 7, I get my period. I’d love to be period-free.