Women who *don't* wear heels: Why don't you?

I had no idea that the pain I feel in my right foot has a name! Wow, learn something new every day. I love the Dope. :slight_smile:

1. Very clumsy. Balance is hard even in flats. I’m sure I could get the hang of wearing them eventually, but I’ve got better things to do with my time and self-esteem.

2. I don’t put a lot of attention or energy in my physical appearance. I wear clean, mostly unwrinkled clothes that (most times) match. And I occasionally wear skirts and dresses. But most of my ensembles are very simple, no-frills affairs. Heels just wouldn’t work with my look.

3. I walk a lot. I could do the wear-sneakers-and-then-swap-out-with-heels thing that lots of professional women do, but that ain’t me. I like wearing one pair of shoes all day long. And I don’t want my office to look like a shoe store.

4. I don’t have pretty feet, but they are healthy and pain-free.

5. I’m hard on my shoes, due to Reasons 2 and 3 as well as frugality. Good heels are expensive and need to be cared for.

I went to a very nice wedding reception a few years ago–the wedding was very small & private, partly because of the delicate health of one of the parents. But a large group of us dressed up for the lovely snacks & drinks & buffet & dancing on the lawn that followed. Except that some of the ladies kept sinking into the grass…

I wore dancing shoes–with small sturdy heels & slim straps to hold them on; imagine taps shoes without taps. Generally, sandals or mary janes with very low heels & support suit my lifestyle. Boot heels can be a bit higher but not spikey.

However, I know that some ladies like higher heels & can wear them gracefully; certain shoes I’d never wear are lovely as sculpture. I might worry about these ladies’ orthopedic health but I would never make assumptions about their morals…

Only two reasons: they hurt my feet, and they’re not practical. My preferred shoes are either a pair of slides, a pair of solid walking shoes or a pair of runners. At home, I’m usually barefoot.

I do own a couple of pairs of high heels. One is the pair I wore getting married (low heels, a bit over an inch) and the other is the ‘emergency need for formal dress’ heels (black pumps, two inch chunky heels that are good for balance) that I haven’t worn in better than five years.

I have a wide foot, toe spurs, and high instep. They don’t make heels for my kind of foot. The only ones I’ve ever tried on, when I’ve needed to get something dressy for a speical occasion, have been extremely painful. I also like to be able to walk fast, or run if I need to, not hobbled like a horse or other enslaved beast of burden.

That language tells you that I, also, do not understand shoe obession that women have. A lot of the expensive, spike heels look like hooker shoes or as ludicrous as clown shoes. Why do women like them?

But I do wish there were more nicely styled comfy shoes that could be worn with dresses…

They’re expensive!

They don’t hurt my feet, if I find good fitting ones. And I like them, how they look, and how they feel. I really prefer dancing in high heels. But I still never wear them. I rarely go dancing and wouldn’t buy shoes just for that, anyway.

‘Doesn’t fit my lifestyle’ is totally accurate.

No arches, a horrible recurring case of plantar fasciitis, don’t go with my wardrobe, are extremely uncomfortable and I’m a total and complete klutz.

That about covers it. Give me my Birkenstocks or gym shoes anytime.

I put down 1) can’t balance, 2) hurt my feet, and 3) make me feel physically vulnerable.

However, the “physically vulnerable” part has almost nothing to do with fighting off attackers or running away from danger. I’m talking about simple, everyday things like walking down the street in fear of breaking an ankle, slipping on the ice, and negotiating terrain that isn’t a nice, smooth pavement. I need to be able to handle everyday routine without worrying that I’m going to hurt myself.

Additionally, your poll needs to include things other than foot pain and foot health. I used to wear comfortable, wide, low wedges and heels. Now I can’t, because they aggravate my bad knee and my lower back.

I wear heels two or three times a week; I’m short, and I want to be able to walk in them in an emergency. I drive to work, I sit all day, and I buy very expensive sturdy ones.

I do not wear heels all the time because I do not want deformed feet.

Yeah, if you have tingling or pain in middle toes if you go on your tiptoes or something similar, suspect Morton’s neuroma.

Hurts like hell, don’t it?

They hurt my feet, I’m already on the tall side, I’m clumsy, I have very bad knees.

I’ll stick with my loafers thank you very much! :slight_smile:

Pain. I’m on my feet 40 hours a week and I buy the most comfortable shoes I can find. When I’m off duty, I still go for comfort.

Likewise. Neuroma in one foot, and bone spurs, etc. in the ankle joint on the other foot - I wear custom orthotics almost all the time. But I hated wearing heels before any of those was the case. I’m 5’1", and I really don’t care if people figure out that I’m short, because, you know, I am short. Life’s too short to have hurty feet.

They hurt my feet and other.

I used to love wearing heels, but now I have a lower back problem and heels cause me terrible back pain. I can wear an inch, inch and a half shoe long enough to get through a wedding and reception; but if you look closely, you’ll see I have them kicked off every time I sit down.

I am at a point in my life where I really, really like my feet to be comfy. I don’t even wear tennis shoes unless I have to because I don’t like my feet having that “closed in” feeling! I usually wear sandals in the summer and clogs in the winter. And if you look closely, you’ll see that I have them kicked off every time I sit down. :smiley:

1. They HURT!

2. I have a wide foot, along with a high arch, so unless there’s an ankle strap to keep them on, I will literally walk out of them.

3. I have had a march fracture, and I never want one again.

They hurt. They hurt my feet AND my previously injured knee.

They are not compatible with how I’ve earned my living these past few years, involving things like climbing ladders, construction sites, and power tools.

I have very wide feet, depending on how the shoe is made either D or E width. Apparently, those who design high heels believe there are no women with feet wider than B, maybe C. Until heel makers start making shoes I can actually physically fit my foot into I ain’t buying them. I’d have to slice off a couple toes to get my feet in typical high heels.

High heels are only good to wear in bed. You can’t really walk, balance or stand in them without pain.

Pretty much this, especially the first one. Before I got the neuroma, I’d wear them a few times a year.

Wide feet, flat footed, a klutz, no sense of balance, right leg is already an inch and a half shorter than my left and I walk on my right tiptoes, cannot find any I like, and I prefer to run around barefooted.