Women's underwear - what's the little pocket for?

And in swimsuits it NEEDS to be sewn up! My kids swim in the ocean and that little un-sewn-up pocket always ends up full of sand. Pain to wash.

That’s my theory.

I imagine it’s not sewn down on the ends because it doesn’t matter to the functioning of the undies. And it’s easier to get the fabric to lie flat.

This guy found a use for the pocket.

When you sew it up, you get a seam across the front. I’m guessing it doesn’t look as nice to have a seam in front so they only sew it across the back.

I’ve heard a few claim that it’s a great spot to put in a small vibrator.

[quote=“racer72, post:23, topic:744220”]

This guy found a use for the pocket.

[/QUOTE]
Well, I guess it’s nice to know that psychopaths are finding ways to amuse themselves.

No idea.

Best Guess: 2 extra rounds?

It’s a damn site more effective than a condom with spermicide…

It would be perfect for that purpose if pads came with “clips” on the back, like the kind pens have for hanging on to your shirt pocket. Clip one on and off you go.

No, it’s even worse when it’s sewn. Sand makes it’s way in anyway and it’s almost impossible to get out. Like lobster traps.

I think this is about lazy/costcutting manufacturing practices. The pocket serves no practical or intended purpose. There’s just an extra layer of fabric there, for whatever reasons Dopers upthread have speculated upon. There’s also no practical reason to close that seam. It adds time and thread to the manufacturing process. The fabric is basically held in by the crotch and leg seams, so there’s no point in sewing a line across the open end. Why take the two extra seconds and why use the two inches of thread? This is most likely sweatshop labor and the company under whose label the panties will be sold will want to pay the least possible amount for their panties. Seconds and inches of thread add up to reduced profit margins.

Hey, do you have any contacts in their HR department? I’m thinking of applying for a part time job.

OK.
Is she aware that you do this, or do you wait until she’s out of the house?

It’s where the demon should have hiddenm the jewel in Jack Chalker’s …And the Devil Will Drag You Under.

Ha ha! Yes, she knows… just part of doing the weekly laundry. Although to be honest, she was working on Saturday so I was home alone at the time.

Huh. I had always assumed it was to hold a sanitary napkin or whatever the technical term for them is. Not underneath, obviously, I just assumed they had a flap that slotted in there or something.

“Folding” not “fondling”! :wink:

As Underwear Inspector #12?

If you’re getting lobster traps in your swimsuit, I think your problems are more profound than what is or isn’t sewn.

And I here I thought crabs were bad.

I love this board.