Words that are not the same but get interchanged

“Paralyzed” and “Petrified”

bear / bare
allude / elude
allusive / elusive / illusive
fortuitous / fortunate
hungry/ Hungary
comprise / compose

Uh, I think of gross as a shortened form of grotesque.

Were you referring to the weight? Gross vs Net weight?

You’re about 200 years late on that one. ‘Gauntlet’ is the preferred spelling, nowadays.

Compliment/complement.

I’m not so sure about this one. The OED has quotes for dampen meaning “to dull, deaden, diminish the force or ardour of, depress, deject” that date to 1633. It does say, though, that this is now chiefly an American usage.

I just now saw this comment on youtube on a Monte Montgomery video …“He used SWR amplifiers along with a few peddles in this video.”

Insure / Ensure

Don’t forget idear. That’s how 1/3rd of the US pronounces it. And more and more of them spell it that way too. Sigh.

Hmm; the jury’s out on this one, I think.

I don’t know where the error is in this one.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Assuming Montgomery is a performer / musician of some sort, the foot operated controls I think **Bones **is talking about are “pedals”.

To “peddle” is to “sell, typically at small scale, like from a pushcart or the back of a truck.”

On tenderhooks. WTF

Flout and flaunt-someone on radio said so and so was flaunting the immigration rules. It bugged me enough to look it up on line and I HATE when it says something along the lines of "Flout is correct, but flaunt is now common usage and accepted. Why does that outrage me so much?

Of course. Thank you.

ETA: And boy, do I feel dumb for missing that!

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

saw/seen The younger people I work do this all the time. “Mrs. Smith seen the doctor yesterday.” Drives me crazy.

It was 9am. You’d only just gotten home from a very long very fun Friday night. Anyone in those circumstances could have made the same mistake. :slight_smile:

Remember this motto: “The older I get, the better I was!” It can apply to yesterday just as well as yesteryear. :smiley:

Nope. The way you use them is pretty common (you might say they’re words that are not the same but get interchanged), but the two words mean different things.

Gross (among other definitions): indelicate, indecent, obscene, or vulgar.

Grotesque: odd or unnatural in shape, appearance, or character; fantastically ugly or absurd; bizarre.

I have seen a surprising number of posters on this board confuse the two.

Of course, it is usually possible–for a short time–to drive both recklessly and wrecklessly. But the odds will catch up to you at some point.

They seem interchangeable to me, at least for my usage. But I’m not a white House correspondent so I don’t need a lot of these.

I think his shooting is automatic, does not require a conscious decision, it is like breathing…It is unconscious