Words that sound pretty, but their meanings are not

Abattoir, sounds bucolic until you live near one!

‘Asperger’ is another one in the same vein which is a delight to pronounce.

So is ‘sour’, certainly when compared to ‘sweet’.

Are the pronunciations not different?

Juvental (Hu-ben-talll!)

I got this name stuck in my head from some frickin’ half a second credit flash off of some ogdamned TV show. The name is Spanish and this one’s a grip or writer or who knows what… it was such a short flash as to be subliminal.

But anyways, the Zorro in my head thinks it is the most texturous and epiphonic word of all languages. The processor just keeps repeating it over and over- rolling the L’s, soft palating the T, stressing the Hu, putting it together taking it apart… Get out! Get out! Get out!

Apparently, Juvental is also a pharmaceutical brand name for the beta blocker Atenolol.

I’ve always like the word amphetamine.

Addendum:Juvental is probably the Iberianization of one of the two Saints Juvenal or maybe the Satirist Juvenal.

My absolutely most favorite word is puce. It comes from the color of a squashed flea!

The reverse of this would be words with nice meanings that sound nasty. J.R.R. Tolkien thought the word sky had an ugly sound, and he made skai a word in Orkish.

Candida (candid in Spanish) is a popular name around here.

I also like manure. In my head I pronounce it with a French accent. **Carrion **also sounds like some elegant French word.

**Castrate **sounds like an ancient Roman emperor.

I’ve always thought the French word “poubelle” was pretty.

Poubelle! Pouuubellllle. Pou… belle. It just rolls off the tongue.

It is the word for “garbage can”.

Proboscis. I just love the flow of hard sounds.

Meconium. Miasma.

Daniel

In that line, how about heroin? And it’s a homophone of heroine (like in a story).

No wonder people become addicted to it. We should have called it “slugshit” or something like that.

Keeping with the drug theme, I think cocaine and opium are quite melodic.

A varient of one posted earlier. Effluvium or effluvia.

Often my internal editor will swap these in when I hear of someone being described as affluent.