Work Etiquette Question

My suspicion is that this guy can’t authorize money for travel expenses but is using your willingness or lack thereof to go visit the location as a gauge of how seriously you are interested in the position.

Which is unfortunate if you don’t have a hidden source of money which you can tap into to pay for the visit.

I’m not sure you have anything to lose at this point in pointing out that your budget has been strapped by the needs of your education and you can not afford a trip to the location at present.

(On the other hand, persons looking to me for employment advice should know that I am not exactly a poster child of success).

I think you’re right, Jodi. Unfortunately, a loan from the bank or my parents is out of the question. I’ll give him a call back this afternoon and explain that we double checked and it just cannot be done.

Ugh.

I hope this doesn’t scrap my chances of actually being hired. :frowning:

Man, that’s just weird. I’ve never heard of a place asking a potential hire to foot the bill on a trip. Danger! Danger, Will Robinson!

This does kinda strike me as odd, though it may be a refection of the new economic reality.

Would you mind naming the company? I’m sure one of our more intrepid dopers would have heard of it.

I get the feeling my WARNING WARNING message isn’t getting through.

BE CAREFUL!

There are many company’s out there that want top notch people but wish to pay them shit and treat them like shit. The problem is if you do this to good people…they will LEAVE.

So…you hire them and fix them into ‘contracts’. I bet a small pile of money that if Pullet shows up for work they will pull out a ‘non-compete contract’ on his first day. The non-compete has no real teeth but the person doesn’t know that and it still makes it hard to leave because if you do the company will send a threatening letter to your new employer informing of the non-compete. The new employer doesn’t want the hassle or risk so they let you go…and back you come to the company.

Who would fall for this?

Recent grads!

There are company’s out there that do this to Ph.D. graduates…they snap them up and lock em in. I personally know of 3 Ph.D’s that are in this situation…paid about $50k a year and have been for years and they don’t have the intestional fortitude to stand up and leave. “But I have a non-compete…I can’t work elsewhere” or “I tried to leave but they got the new place to unhire me right away”. “I will have worked for 6 years and have no/bad recommendations!”

Yup…true…but you have to escape the slave status eventually!

You said ‘one year contract’…what employer does this? An employer that wants to be able to get rid of you if you don’t work out…no…they do probationary periods. No…these places are slave pits. They want to lock you in…to enslave you.

These places are not going to shell out money for bringing you to the interview. They want cheap…and gullible.

Hiring sight unseen is even better…because less chance they will be covertly informed by another slave what is going on.

=========
Now, I may be (and probbaly am) overreacting to the OP…but I DO know people in this situation and they are miserable!

Be careful, please.

I appreciate the warning, BlinkingDuck. At this point, I’m not quite sure what to do with myself.

Here’s more details:
So, as I’ve mentioned on this board somewhere before, I’m a veterinary student. My particular interest is in poultry. In talking with folks, it has become clear that I can’t get an actual job in poultry until I complete some additional training. Unfortunately, I can’t afford to be a full-time student any longer because of the considerable credit card debt I’ve racked up. Fortunately, a training program has recently started up that would allow me to get the education I need while still having the schedule to work full time. Awesome, except now I need a job.

Most of the jobs available to vets deal with cats and dogs. This is bad for me, because I haven’t spent a lot of time studying cats or dogs. If I’m going to be their vet, then I need a clinic that is structured such that I can be double checked and supervised by a more experienced vet so that I’m less likely to do something stupid. Most new grads need that structure to some degree, but I’m going to need it more. Additionally, I need a place that gives me fairly good pay to help me out of this money pit quickly, and that has reasonable hours. Smaller clinics are notorious for sticking the new doctor with all the crap hours and emergency shifts.

So, I start seriously considering working for Large Veterinary Chain, a company famous for their big new graduate salaries. Yeah, the salaries are big enough to raise suspicion, but I do my homework and talk to people on both sides of the issue and look around behind the scenes of one of the branches nearby. I think I can handle their flavor of Business and come out with my soul mostly intact. Plus, they have a built in mentoring system, no emergency hours, and a flexible schedule. Yes, I would have to sign a non-compete contract, but that would only apply to the practice of cat and dog medicine. They’ve even told me that if I want to work as a vet on some other species on my days off, while I’m still employed by them, they don’t care.

Large Veterinary Chain looks somewhat less evil. And, the prospect of digging myself out of debt inside of 2 years is damned appealing. Everywhere else I’ve looked, my starting pay would be $20k less than what Large Veterinary Chain is offering. Never mind the benefits.

About the only other non-poultry outfit that I would feel competent working for is the government, and I spent about 3 months this past summer chasing jobs and my tail down that road. Faxes sent with no follow up, notification months later that they haven’t received stuff.

I should have become an interior designer. :mad:

It’s not just recent grads-my dad signed a no-compete because it was the only way he’d get his bonus. He KNEW they were illegal here in PA (restriction of trade or something like that), but when he accepted a new job, he was sued, and had to turn said job down. Even though he was in the right, it was too much hassle to fight it.

So do NOT sign one.
Fortunately, Dad didn’t sign one the next year (and gave up his bonus)…and that same job was re-offered to him, because the guy they hired turned out to be a loser and now he manages his own funeral home.