Worst continuity gaffe?

I believe there was originally supposed to be a scene in which the missing replicant died due to their shorter life span, which was never filmed.

I don’t buy Deckard being the missing replicant. Him being a replicant makes a great deal of sense, but not that one. They would have had to catch him without killing him, erase his memory (which there is little suggestion that it’s possible to do), and then implant new memories. Why on earth would they do that when they could just get a new replicant and give it memories?

I notice facial hair continuity problems. In “X-men” there are a few scenes where Wolverine’s sideburns vary considerably in length. This may not seem like much, but it’s very noticeable when they cover half his face, then just down around his ears and back again. It bugs me because the look is very integral to the character

In “Chariots of Fire” there is a scene when a character is given a note right before a race. As he starts running, you see the note clutched conspicuously in his hand. Throughout the race, though, if you watch his hand, its missing. Then as he finishes the race, the paper is back sticking out of the hand he had it in at the beginning.

I’m shocked it hasn’t been mentioned yet, but one of the most famous continuity gaffes of all time was in a courtroom scene in “The Jagged Edge” in which Glenn Close questions a witness wearing one suit; cut to the witness and back to Close and she’s wearing another suit; cut away and back and she’s wearing still another suit.

Some other logical gaffes (not really continuity) include:

• In Saving Private Ryan, the old man at the beginning of the movie remembers the war starting with the bloody Omaha Beach battle. Except the old man IS Private Ryan and he was an airborne trooper and was never there. Why is it presented as a flashback when he couldn’t have remembered three quarters of the movie?

• In Return of the Jedi, the Rebels mention that the Death Star is vulnerable in part because the Imperial fleet is all over hell’s half acre looking for them. But when Han, Leia, and the gang show up in the stolen shuttle, the whole damned Imperial fleet is there. Why didn’t they say “Holy shit, look at all these Star Destroyers, what the hell is going on?”

• Picking on Star Wars, why in the Empire Strikes Back was Darth Vader planning to freeze Luke in carbonite? What was the point? He wanted to try to turn him to the Dark side and had the Emperor onside with the plan. Why freeze him?

He did say that it was for the time spent being transported to the Emperor. I guess maybe he figured that it would be better to have him out of commission during the trip–he didn’t know what Luke might or might not have learned during his training.

I remembered one today that didn’t have to happen, and looks worse as a result: In Eyes Wide Shut, during the mansion/orgy scene, Tom Cruise is approaching a doorway, on the other side of which is a whole lot of sexual activity going on, including on top of a large dining room table. The camera is behind Cruise. Our (and his) view of the activity is blocked by two of the MPAA-imposed CGI figures at the end of the table. Cut to the reverse, showing Cruise approaching the camera, and the two CGI figures have disappeared. Whoops.

In CARRIE, Sissy Spaceck has just killed just about everyone at the prom, and now John Travolta is going to rum her over with his car.
So howcum the car is driving backward away from her?

Not a movie gaffe, but did anyone else notice in last night’s Simpsons that when the kids were late for school, Marge was in such a hurry that she dressed them in each other’s clothes? But when she ran them into the kitchen to shove breakfast down their throats, everyone was dressed normally.

In “Titanic”, when Jack is sketching Rose, they do close-ups of his hands drawing. For a 20-something-year-old, his hands look like a 40-something-year-old’s. (This was because James Cameron actually did the sketching; those were his hands.)

Yeah, I saw the Simpsons too, and the kids clothes did automatically change.
I don’t think it was an accident, however.
I think they either throw little things like that in to keep us paying attention, (like Seinfeld supposedly having a Superman in every episode, or all the cameos made by Hitchcock in his films)
or they want you to assume that when they changed the scene from one room to another, there was a small time interval where it was straightened out.

Has anyone mentioned The Breakfast Club?
After Molly Ringwald demonstrates how she can put lipstick on without using her hands, she is seen fumbling around with her purse, you see her cap the lipstick, tuck it away and close the purse, and in the next shot she still has the lipstick in her hand. Oops!

Not a true continuity error, but a screwup in screening. I went to see a showing of The Shining, which I had seen before, at my university movie theatre. The projectionist messed up the order of the reels, so that they played 1-3-2-4. The effect of this was that weird stuff started happening almost immediately upon their arrival at the Overlook hotel, culminating with Shelley Duvall hitting Jack Nicholoson with a baseball bat and dragging him into a closet. Switch to the 2nd reel, and she’s feeding him breakfast in bed, things are back to normal, then get freaky agian, then the climax. I started roaring with laughter at the breakfast in bed scene, annoying several people arround me. When they yelled at me later, I realized they had no idea the film was out of order, they just thought Stanely Kubrik was being weird.

Also, I’ve heard that the “drive in the country” at the end of the “happy ending” version of Blade Runner was leftover from The Shining, can anyone confirm?

In Shadow of the Vampire when Malcovich’s character was talking to his leading lady her cigarette was long, than short, than long, than short.

In Die Hard 2, there were a couple:

1. You can’t CALL in-flight phones. Bonnie Bedelia’s pages would have been useless.
  2. When Bruce Willis calls her back the first time (assuming it were possible), the phone he calls from clearly says “Pacific Bell”. Yet the movie was set in Washington, D.C.
  3. Hi, Opal!
  4. The whole concept of the movie: There are three major airports in the D.C./Baltimore area. Not to mention the dozen or so others that could be reached well before any of those planes were in any danger of running out of fuel. Just because terrorists took over Dulles doesn’t mean that the passengers were doomed.

If I really thought about it, I could probably come up with more. That movie was rife with logical and continuity errors.

From Die Hard (the first one) - Willis starts out wearing a white tank top. By the end of the film, it’s uniformly olive colored. Now, I understand that he’s crawling through air ducts and getting dirty and sweaty, but there’s no way the shirt would have been so uniformly stained unless he fell into a dye vat.

Much of the crisis in that movie hinged on the idea that the controllers did not have access to a transmitter to warn the circling planes what was happening. That’s ridiculous. Every plane parked on the ground at the airport would have a radio that could broadcast on the right air-traffic frequency.

Two possibilities:

1. The bulk of the movie is not a flashback. The Old Ryan pieces are merely bookends used to present the larger story.

2. The bulk of the movie is an elaboration/recollection of what the survivors (Ed Norton, for one) told him afterwards.

I don’t think Ed Norton would have remembered too much.:smiley:

And, of course, I come up with a Bond flick.
Now most of these do a reasonably good job and suspeding disbelief. But “The Living Daylights” leaves me with wincing.

1. “Afghanistan distances”
    Second half of the flick:
    >The cargo plane with Bond and Kyra(Bond Babe) lands in Afghanistan. Bad guy says “Lock them up”. It’s daylight. It’s probably been a long flight, so let’s say it’s sunset.
    >They get taken to the lockup. Introduce big tough guy and Russian soldiers.
    >Bond uses gadget. Fight ensues.
    >Bond and BB put on jackets to pose as soldiers for their escape.
    >Outside is dark, but with hint of twilight. Late sunset.
    >They meet up with rebels and ride off to rebel camp.
    >They arrive in rebel camp and it’s daylight.
    >At rebel camp, they’re told, “get some sleep. Tomorrow will be a long day.”

…So we’ll assume that it was a LONG horsey ride from teh Russian airbase to the rebel camp.

>Next morning, they ride off to a meeting involving the Russians at a location presumably halfway between the camp and the airbase.
>Bond infiltrates the Russian supply truck, gets stuck and ends up riding in the back back to the airbase.
>Suddenly, back at the airbase, the rebels show up. Big fight ensues.

It’s still daylight.

Now did that distance just get suddenly shorter?

1. “No place to land” (after above):
    >Bond steals the cargo plane
    >Bullets spray plane
    >BB gets on plane with jeep
    >Badguy gets on plane
    >Fight with badguy while BB pilots the plane.
    >Plane starts running out of fuel (the old “bulletholes in the fuel tank” bit)
    >Bond says “There’s no place to land” (notes hills and mountains galore)
    >Bond and BB drop out of the back of the plane in the jeep
    >Plane crashes into mountain.
    >Bond drives off to Karachi along a long…
    straight
    desert
    road
    in
    the
    middle
    of
    a
    long
    wide
    desert…

That’s what IMDb says.

Ah, all right, sorry. I hadn’t heard that.
Though I don’t know if it was just speculation about Deckard being a replicant. I thought that the director’s cut is cut to make it appear like Deckard could indeed be a replicant. If not the missing one, than another replicant.

Sorry, that should be “then another replicant”, not “than…”.

The worst thing I have ever seen was in State and Main

The IMDB explained it so much better then I ever could.
http://us.imdb.com/Title?0120202

The mistake bothered me so much that I didn’t even enjoy the movie. I guess I am just a stickler for detail. :slight_smile: